Well sediment issue...maybe

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Yea its got a shutoff and bypass in the head. I got some O-Rings on order through Watts but it will be a few weeks. They were noted as "made to order" in their catalog. That's pretty strange. I need to measure one if nothing else. It is a pretty beefy housing and never had an issue getting it open after relieving pressure. Some other ones out there can be a bear.
If you don't have silicone grease, get some. I like Molykote 111, but there are others. Use a very light coat on the O-ring. The 5.3 ounce tube has a lot more than the 0.5 ounce tubes at the store. https://www.danco.com/product/0-5-oz-silicone-faucet-grease/ Danco 88693

I wear nitrile gloves when applying to make cleaning my hands easier.

Watts is missing a bet by not advertising that that unit has a bypass built in, IMO.

Uncle Redhead

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the silicone. I will pick some up before my next filter change. The watts filter housing is a great little housing. I have had mine for 3 years, no issues. I have had the ones from the big box stores, not impressed. This one has a larger diameter heavy duty housing and the fact it is clear lets you see what is going on. Also it has brass inserts for the connections. Just seems to be better quality than the others. You are correct after I did a little search only one place mentioned the bypass and it only read "three function head". Evidently you can get it with or without the pressure relief. Mine does not have the pressure relief so I just crack a faucet upstairs before I turn everything off and it seems to do the trick.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sharp, granular sediment leads to shortened pump life. If you can control it before it goes through the pump you'll be much better off.

Uncle Redhead

Reaction score
I have noticed in the past 3 days the sediment is larger granules, quartz/feldspar/mica mostly. Does this mean anything? I am becoming obsessed with watching the filter I think. We got some rain last night but we have had almost two weeks with little to no rain after a very wet winter. Would larger sediment indicate the well has filled up with this stuff up to the pump screen? It is just me and the wife at the house now so we don't use a heck of a lot of water. I spoke with the best two drillers in my area and they told me to give it a few weeks and see what happens. They are getting more complaints than usual lately with sediment. I know the previous owner raised the pump 10 feet, 5 years ago and that took care of it but he was changing filters weekly. I figure you can only raise the pump so many times though. Got like five pine trees real close to the well head I need to get removed. That will cost some money so want to make sure my well is not going to become unusable before I do that. I am a rockhound so I understand a little about the geology on my property. Bedrock is what is called amphibolite (black) with veins of quartz here and there. There is actually a very old mica prospect (pit) a few hundred yards from the well downhill. The bedrock is pretty decomposed so I am wondering if the sediment is coming in from around where the casing stops. At what point would sediment hurt the pump significantly? I figure I will be swapping out this filter monthly the way it is going.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Heavy sediment usually doesn't get picked up from the bottom of the well. It usually gets sucked in as it falls past the pump when coming in the well from above the pump. What doesn't get pumped out usually fills up the bottom of the well. If the sediment builds up around the motor, it can cause the motor to overheat as it cannot get water flow through the sediment. And yes you can only raise the pump so much before it is too high to reach the water.

An extra long flow inducer sleeve or shroud will work like a Lakos SubK and let the sediment fall to the bottom of the well. This will keep the pump from having to pump the sediment, which greatly shortens the pumps life. But it will fill the bottom of the well with sediment so the well will probably have to be cleaned out occasionally.

My rule of thumb is if the pump will last 5 years I can deal with the filters. If the sediment wears out the pump sooner than 5 years, it usually pays to drill a new well without sediment.

Reach4

Reaction score
With your 6 inch well, maybe ask your well person about a 4 inch PVC liner.

Uncle Redhead

Reaction score
OK sounds good. I talked to the folks at the well company and sent them a picture of my filter. Around here all the guys are out working and they leave the ladies at the shop to man the phones. They are pretty sharp, get all the needed info and get with the guys once they come back in to get some more answers. Will wait and see what they say. The folks around here usually won't try to take advantage of you. They stay pretty busy just keeping up with the work they have it seems.

Uncle Redhead

Reaction score
just an update. I went just beyond 4 weeks on my filter before I noticed enough pressure reduction for it to be an issue. Had maybe 2 inches of sediment in the bottom of the 10" housing and a light glaze of "mud" on the filter itself. Rains have been relentless here with record rainfall. In fact we had a fatality from a mudslide near here (Tryon area) when the mountain side gave way and crushed several houses. Very sad but it happens here in the Blue Ridge. No end in site. I can live with a monthly filter (5 micron) change and will see if it clears up. Went back to the typical looking mixed sediment so maybe that is good. Thanks for all the good advice from you guys!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks