Well sanitation guidance

Users who are viewing this thread

Antsy

Reaction score
We have a new construction house. This is the first time we've ever had a well. We've been drinking the water for 3 months and just now found out it tested positive for total coliform. It tested negative for ecoli. Our builder let us know the other day. They sent him the water test results but we never received them. We are in the mountains of Western NC. The well depth is 585 feet, 30 gpm, static water level at 80, casing depth of 55 feet, depth of pump 440 feet. The sample taken for the test was taken at the well head. No sample was ever taken in the house.

They are coming Friday morning to shock the well. The well guy mentioned they use some sort of Jet lube product. I just wanted to know a few things as how we are to proceed after they add this product to the well. I read that we should open taps until we smell chlorine and then close them and leave everything for at least 8 to 24 hours. We planned to go to a hotel for the night. Is there a "too long" point where something can get damaged if we leave the chlorine in there? When we come back how do we proceed? We have a septic tank and I figure it probably isn't the best to let all that chorine go into it. Do we run hoses for a while first to get a lot of it out? We have a diaphragm pump, a sediment filter and a tankless water heater. How do we handle those? What about toilets? How long do we wait until we test the water again?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks