Well recovery rate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Upman1976

Reaction score
I have a 5" drilled well. Submersible pump at 27ft. Seemed to be running out of water last spring. Thinking maybe poor recovery or bad pump. I pulled it and replaced the pump. Also dropped it lower by about 6 inches. Now of coarse I have lots of sediment etc. It's spitting air from the faucets and really noticeable in the shower and the toilet. Spitting and sputtering. Was worse in the morning after sitting but know is doing it all the time. Pressure tank, valves, T, check valve all new last year also. Did it before and after all this. Am I right in thinking maybe the water table is dropping and the pump is sucking air? Am I just band-aiding and actually need a new well?
Thanks for the help. Looks like a tone of help and info here.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds like a good explanation, I am afraid.

Do you know how deep the well was drilled? There is a thing called well rejuvination that could increase your well production.

How high is your static water level when you have not been using water for a while?

Upman1976

Reaction score
Sounds like a good explanation, I am afraid.

Do you know how deep the well was drilled? There is a thing called well rejuvination that could increase your well production.

How high is your static water level when you have not been using water for a while?
This I don't know. Something I can check in the spring. The head is under 2ft of snow currently. I was afraid of that. Prob have a well company come out and give me some advise and quotes

Reach4

Reaction score
This I don't know. Something I can check in the spring. The head is under 2ft of snow currently. I was afraid of that. Prob have a well company come out and give me some advise and quotes
Wells can be cleaned out if the well started deeper long ago. The fast method involves feeding a big engine-driven air compressor line down the well. Debris comes up like a geyser.

A slow DIY method of lifting sediment is an air lift pump. That needs a much smaller compressor -- maybe 8 cfm. The static water level should be at or higher than half of the lift distance.

It seems to me that with such a shallow system, a rented trash pump might be able to suck out sediment. I have not seen people right about that.

Regarding well rejuvination, there are chemicals, often supplied in pellets, that can dissolve minerals blocking the flow. Nu-Well 100 is one fairly commonly used, and might be sufficient. is the maker. There are other chemicals and larger amount containers. This should get you started if you want to search out the topic.

I have no relevant experience.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks