Well Questions, Need Advise

Users who are viewing this thread

Lawgiver

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Recently had my convertible jet pump go out after 24 years. Not bad I don't think. Ordered another convertible jet pump and was going about the install today when a neighbor suggested I measure the depth of my well. Thought that might be some good info to have. So, I used some fishing line with a sinker and dropped it down the casing. Much to my surprise it bottomed out at 36 feet from the lip of the casing. This was concerning because my drop line is just under 36 feet which means my foot valve was just about sitting at the bottom. After spending some time here, it is my understanding that the foot valve should be at least 5 feet from the bottom. My water line from the lip of the casing is 14 feet. My first attempt at measuring by listening for the sinker hitting the water was 13 feet. Next, I tried to eyeball it with a flashlight and came up with 14 feet. I was always under the impression I had a deep well. I am concerned that I might have some issues with the well and wanted to ask your opinions on this. Everyone around me is deeper. At least 50 feet or deeper according to the State of Ohio online records. There is no record for my well. The house was built in 1952 and I am assuming that was before the record keeping began.

I moved in here in the late 70's and the pump that was down there at that time was the old belt/piston type. It reminded me of an old steam engine. I don't know if there was a shallow well pump down there or at what point we switched over to a convertible jet pump. I was in my teens back then and just don't remember. I installed the previous pump 23 years ago. There was a convertible jet pump down there at that time as I used the injector assembly from the previous pump on the pump I replaced 24 years ago. I have never measured the depth of the well. The only thing I do remember measuring back then was the length of the drop line and the depth to the water line. Sadly, I didn't take any notes and I remember the number I came up with was 25 feet. But, I don't remember if that was the drop line or the water line depth.

Something else has just occurred to me and I don't know if this makes a difference. My well casing is well underground, at least 6 to 6.5 feet below ground level. I access my pump and well through a removable cover which opens up into a small masonry brick room outside. No basement as my ranch home sits on a concrete slab. I drop a ladder down the hole and climb down to access the pressure tank, pump, and well. Any thoughts?? Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Rob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks