Well pumps, aerators, & pressure tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Marine67

Reaction score
I have an above ground well pump, pumping water into an aerator, which has a float valve controlling the pump. The pump is also attached to the pressure tank. I cannot understand why the pressure tank in this situation. Water pressure is not the controlling factor with my well pump. Tge float valve is, I think. Any thoughts on the need of a pressure tank in this set up?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you had a float switch, no pressure tank would be needed. But with a Float valve, the pressure tank is needed because the pressure switch is what turns the pump on and off.

Marine67

Reaction score
If you had a float switch, no pressure tank would be needed. But with a Float valve, the pressure tank is needed because the pressure switch is what turns the pump on and off.
The float in my aerator is what turned on the well pump. When the water fell in the aerator, and the float fell below level, the water pump would kick on. When the float was pointing above level, the pump would turn off. I still have the float in my aerator, so I am confused why I have a pressure tank. The float still controls the pump, but I’m not sure how the pressure turns on the pump. No additional electrical was installed. And what pressure is the pressure tank monitoring?

Bannerman

Reaction score
In your initial post, you said a float 'VALVE' turns on the pump.

If a float valve is utilized, the valve will open when the water level is low in the aerator so as to cause pressurized water from the pressure tank to enter the aerator. This will in turn cause the system pressure from the pressure tank to become gradually lower, thereby causing the pressure switch to activate the pump when the system pressure has fallen to the PS activation setting.

If you actually mean a Float 'SWITCH' is utilized, then low water level in the aerator will cause the float to activate a switch which will directly activate the pump. When a float switch is utilized, a pressure tank and pressure switch will not be required.

The float still controls the pump, but I’m not sure how the pressure turns on the pump. No additional electrical was installed. And what pressure is the pressure tank monitoring?

A pressure tank supplies system pressure while the pump is not running. The pressure switch monitors the system pressure so as to activate the pump when the system pressure has been reduced to a specific pressure, and will shut off the pump when the system pressure has been increased to typically 20 psi higher that the activation pressure.

Last edited:

Marine67

Reaction score
In your initial post, you said a float 'VALVE' turns on the pump.

If a float valve is utilized, the valve will open when the water level is low in the aerator so as to cause pressurized water from the pressure tank to enter the aerator. This will in turn cause the system pressure from the pressure tank to become gradually lower, thereby causing the pressure switch to activate the pump when the system pressure has fallen to the PS activation setting.

If you actually mean a Float 'SWITCH' is utilized, then low water level in the aerator will cause the float to activate a switch which will directly activate the pump. When a float switch is utilized, a pressure tank and pressure switch will not be required.

A pressure tank supplies system pressure while the pump is not running. The pressure switch monitors the system pressure so as to activate the pump when the system pressure has been reduced to a specific pressure, and will shut off the pump when the system pressure has been increased to typically 20 psi higher that the activation pressure.
There is, or was, no pressure on the aerator. The well pump turns on when the water level falls. Then the water is pumped directly into the aerator until the required water level is once again reached. The switch in my aerator is a float. Level down, pump starts, when water rises above level, pump stops. Well pump is on one side of aerator, and the pump for water to the house, also attached to a pressure tank is pressure controlled. It’s set to 30/50. When we run water in the house, the pump kicks in when pressure falls to 30psi and turns off at 50psi. The pressure tank attached to the well pump, has no settings. There is no pressure gauge attached to well pump pressure tank.

Marine67

Reaction score
Again, if you have a float switch, not a float valve, no pressure tank is needed.
Ok, I think I shouldn’t have agreed to another pressure tank. Thanks for your patience, and I appreciate your help in helping me to understand the workings of pumps with aerators.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks