Well pumping sand

Users who are viewing this thread

Tedly49

Reaction score
I just bought a house so I have no ideal how old the well is. It's has a deep well pump and has been pulling sand. The well has a 4" case with a 1' metal pipe in the middle. I went to pull the pipe out and realized that about 5' down looks like cement inside the casing. What are my options to get to the pump? Not sure of the depth of the pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could you amplify on "about 5' down looks like cement inside the casing"? As viewed with a camera down the well? As viewed from the top of the casing without the pump being pulled?

In Swanton Ohio, I would expect you to have a pitless adapter less than 5 ft down, unless your well is in a pit.

Look around the pressure tank to see if somebody posted notes about the well.

Maybe try to contact the old owner for recollections. Try asking a neighbor that has been there for a good while for info.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The well has a 4" case with a 1' metal pipe in the middle.
Is the water line connected to the top of that 1 inch pipe? If not, that pipe is likely there to pull the pump and the bottom of that pipe is connected to a pitless adapter. There are several styles of pitless adapters so it needs to be identified before attempting to pull the pump.

Tedly49

Reaction score
Could you amplify on "about 5' down looks like cement inside the casing"? As viewed with a camera down the well? As viewed from the top of the casing without the pump being pulled?

In Swanton Ohio, I would expect you to have a pitless adapter less than 5 ft down, unless your well is in a pit.

Look around the pressure tank to see if somebody posted notes about the well.

Maybe try to contact the old owner for recollections. Try asking a neighbor that has been there for a good while for info.
Is the water line connected to the top of that 1 inch pipe? If not, that pipe is likely there to pull the pump and the bottom of that pipe is connected to a pitless adapter. There are several styles of pitless adapters so it needs to be identified before attempting to pull the pump.
I tried to take a pic but not showing anything. The pipe goes to the top of the casing with no cap. I tapped on what looks like cement that the pipe and wires go thru and it's solid. I don't see any other connections above the cement. I also stuck a fiberglass rodder down the pipe and it went 25' down.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks