Well pump won't build up pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Lamb

Reaction score
Our problem started when the well pump wouldn't build up enough pressure to cutoff. Air in the tank bladder is correct. Prior to this we had adjusted the pressure switch to cut on at 25 and off at 38. It now won't build up pressure to cut off. The pressure reads around 20. We pulled the lines and cleaned the foot valve and venturi jet at the bottom of the water lines. We took the foot valve assembly apart and cleaned all sediment out. We replace the pipes in the well. We checked the depth of the well and water depth. All is good. Plenty of water and room at the bottom of the well so we aren't at the bottom. The foot valve is 18 feet below the water lever with a 15 foot reserve below. Flushed the connection to the pressure gauge and pipe fittings where the pipes join the pump. Primed the pump, we primed the impeller to eliminate any air pockets in the pump. We also opened all the faucets in the house to ensure no air pockets in the house pipes.

We started to pull the pipes off the pump again. When we started to pull the pipes we heard air escaping from the pipes so we think we don't have any air leaks in the pipes.

The whole system is only 8 years old (tank, pump, foot valve assembly etc). Well pump holds its prime. What is causing the pressure not to build up over 20?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there's air in the pipes the system is not fully primed.

A partially plugged jet will keep the pump from building full pressure.

I know it's a fair expense, but why not convert it to a submersible and save yourself a lot of grief and aggravation?

Tim Lamb

Reaction score
If there's air in the pipes the system is not fully primed.

A partially plugged jet will keep the pump from building full pressure.

I know it's a fair expense, but why not convert it to a submersible and save yourself a lot of grief and aggravation?

I have a couple of questions....
1. Could our problem be an issue with an impeller in the pump itself? We have noticed a drop in pressure over the last year. Have adjusted the kick in/kick out to lower pressures so the pump would stop running. Thought it might be a weak impeller. Could putting a new impeller kit in solve the problem?
2. We are not familiar with a submersible pump. Can you tell us the pros and cons compared to an above ground pump?

Reach4

Reaction score
Submersible cons:
Requires 3 inch or more diameter casing
Requires power run to pump.

pros:
Very quiet.
Power efficient.
No priming needed.
No jet.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gotta have power for a jet pump too....

Submersibles are very quiet, easy to service, very efficient, no priming required, can be bought in 115 or 230 volt (1/2 hp only), less expensive to service.....

I've been in this business 30+ years and I would NEVER suggest a jet pump except for seasonal irrigation use.

Tim Lamb

Reaction score
Gotta have power for a jet pump too....

Submersibles are very quiet, easy to service, very efficient, no priming required, can be bought in 115 or 230 volt (1/2 hp only), less expensive to service.....

I've been in this business 30+ years and I would NEVER suggest a jet pump except for seasonal irrigation use.

Our pump is only 7 years old but we can't find replacement parts for it. Our well is 6 inches so a submersible can work. Do you have any suggestions of a brand of submersible pump we should purchase? We don't want to end up with another unit that can't be fixed if needed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Submersibles are seldom fixed, but instead get replaced.

I don't know about fixing pumps, but if you post the make and model of your pump, somebody might have some info on parts.

I am not a pro.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reach,
Nope, no 2" wells in these parts and very, very few point wells.

Jet pumps are ok when they work. But labor for repairs/servicing will eat your lunch. I've never had anyone call me and tell me they miss their noisy old jet pump....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks