well pump woes

Users who are viewing this thread

dlowens

Reaction score
We recently bought a house which has city water, but also has a well for outside use. It had apparently frozen at some point before we purchased the house. I replaced all the supply lines and valves, then I discovered the tank had a big hole in it so I replaced it with the same type, pre-charged. Now when I turn it on it will run for a few minutes then shut off, when it shuts off there is no water flow at all until it comes back on. It shuts off then comes back on every few minutes. What is wrong now???????:confused:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check Valve?

I suspect that you have a check valve somewhere in the line between the tank and the place that you are taking off water. You get water while the pump is running but the check valve prevents water from flowing back from the tank to the tee where you are trying to take water.

If it comes back on every few minutes while you are not running water, then you have a leak or a bad check valve somewhere.

Last edited:

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
Did you adjust the precharge air pressure in the new tank?
If not, set it to 2 psi less than cutin pressure.
Ron

R

Rancher

"Now when I turn it on it will run for a few minutes then shut off"

How do you turn it on? The tank should have a pressure switch that automatically turns the pump on and off.

The pre-charged tank, did you measure the pressure before hooking it up?

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks