Well pump will not reach pressure (50 PSI)

Users who are viewing this thread

Bgard

Reaction score
The pipe from the well to the pimp is 1 1/4" the 1" is the exit for the water out of the pump. I am not sure what you mean by "deep well". All I know is the pump was getting to about 40 psi but now reaches only just above 20 psi.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A matter of interpretation, I guess. On a deep well two pipe system, the water exits the pump via the small pipe and goes down to the jet. OP didn't say where the water that exits goes and he didn't say he doesn't have two pipes go to the well.

Anyway, as I said, it matters not if it is a single pipe shallow well or two pipe deep well pump. They both use the same principle and a plugged jet will limit the pressure they can make.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're very wrong. There are two pipes: one is the "drive pipe" smaller diameter and one is the "suction pipe" larger diameter, usually 1" and 1.25" respectively. The suction pipe does in fact pull vacuum and you can put a gauge on the vacuum port of the pump and measure it.

If you still don't think there is vacuum on the suction pipe use something flimsy like hose and watch it collapse. You can use hose on the drive pipe but not the suction.

The jet/venturi down in the well is plugged. Pull the jet and clean it and you'll probably be fine.
A two pipe system doesn't have any vacuum in the the two pipes. The only place there would be vacuum is the tailpipe of the jet assembly down in the well.

Wayne Walker

Reaction score
OK update, I moved the pump from the room in the barn to the well head. It's now located about 3 feet from the head. Everything is hooked up. I had electrical reconnected, because evidently the pump was located here at one time. The new issue is this, the pump is connected to the electrical but when I turn it on all it does is humm, it does not turn on. I took it off and took it to the company here that services these pumps to check it out. They told me everything is running fine with it. So I took the pump, reconnected it, hooked up the electrical and it did the same thing, hummm. So now I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your electrical doesn't match the pump motor. Measure the volts to see what it is and then switch the motor to match. I recommend 230v over 110.

Reach4

Reaction score
how far should the pump be from the well head? Right now it's about a 100+ ft.
If you are open to making changes, consider switching to use a submersible pump if your pump casing is 4 inches or more ID. A 1/2 HP pump would normally give you about the water of a 1 HP jet pump.

Less drama and less tricky troubleshooting. You could maybe run the power wires through one of the existing pipes.

Wayne Walker

Reaction score
The pump was running 110 to begin with. It's still running 110. My meter shows it at 110. Could it be the distance of the line is run?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
At 110V you will have twice the current you would otherwise have if it were 220V. For long runs, 220V is advised. Can your pump be wired for 220 and can you rewire in the panel to 220?

Wayne Walker

Reaction score
OK so here it is, I had ANOTHER ELECTRICIAN out to look at it and it seems there was a wire reversed at the power source. So not the pump is running. but after all this it STILL does not reach 50psi, it sits at 40psi and the pipe gets really HOT! Here are some photos of the set up. The cut off switch is a 30/50 with an auto cut off at below 20. Any ideas????

Attachments

• 20170825_153201.jpg
    20170825_153201.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 375
  • 20170825_153210.jpg
    20170825_153210.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 386

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks like a shallow well pump.
Had he been more responsive to questions, that could have become clear earlier.

I also what are the odds that he actually measured 11o volts?

Last edited:

Wayne Walker

Reaction score
Had he been more responsive to questions, that could have become clear earlier.

I also what are the odds that he actually measured 11o volts?
The odds are pretty good. As I said the electrician found that two weres were crossed. Pump no works but does not reach 560 psi.

Wayne Walker

Reaction score
I replaced the 30/50 pressure switch with 20/40 and the pump is turning on and off like it should, although I ready need the 50psi. I am going to rod out the plug on the back and then see. I will let you know.

FYI: I was late in responding to prior post because we were dealing with a hurricane here... sorry for the delay Reach4 I try to be responsive in the future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks