Well pump turning on and off

Users who are viewing this thread

MdJoe

Reaction score
I recently purchased a home with a well water system. All was inspected in November and only needed a new tank. My pressure switch is set from 40psi to 60psi. The pressure switch is engaging to the energized position when it gets to 40psi. However, the pump will only run in 5lb increments with a minute between until 60psi when the switch cuts off. When my pressure drops to around 35psi, it just dives down to zero and I get air out of the lines once it gets back up to pressure. I am waiting on a well guy to check it out, bit does this sound like a bad pump?

Thanks for your input. Joe

Reach4

Reaction score
Good chance. Is your pump down the well? How about posting a photo that includes your pressure switch, pressure gauge, and the pipe from the well.

If you have a clamp-around ammeter, you might be able to get more info.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Diving from 35 to zero means you have 35 PSI air in the tank, which is good. The pump is shutting off on overload, which takes a minute or so to reset itself. It is tripping the overload several times before it gets to 60 where the pressure switch keeps it shut off. Either the motor is bad, the voltage is low, or if it has a control box the capacitor is bad.

MdJoe

Reaction score
Diving from 35 to zero means you have 35 PSI air in the tank, which is good. The pump is shutting off on overload, which takes a minute or so to reset itself. It is tripping the overload several times before it gets to 60 where the pressure switch keeps it shut off. Either the motor is bad, the voltage is low, or if it has a control box the capacitor is bad.
Thank you! I was dreading that answer. I do not have a control box. First, the breaker it was on went bad. I replaced that. Today, the screw in fuse next to the pump power switch blew. I'm waiting on a well guy to get back to me and have a look. I was hoping maybe I just had low water due to no rain and frozen ground. Since a little rain on Monday, it will now pump it up 10lbs the first time it runs, then 5lb increments .

Reach4

Reaction score
the voltage is low
MdJoe, there is one you can check.

Probably not worth asking, but you don't have a box that shuts your pump down for a while when you run out of water, do you? Those exist, but you would have mentioned a box, even if its purpose was a mystery.

MdJoe

Reaction score

Probably not worth asking, but you don't have a box that shuts your pump down for a while when you run out of water, do you? Those exist, but you would have mentioned a box, even if its purpose was a mystery.
I don't believe so. I am a city guy and new to well water. The only thing is a box with a light switch and screw in fuse.

Attachments

• 20180117_125047.jpg
    20180117_125047.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 203

MdJoe

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20180117_125042.jpg
    20180117_125042.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 210

Reach4

Reaction score
The only thing is a box with a light switch and screw in fuse.
Yep, that's what you think it is. With a single fuse, your pump is probably a 115 volt pump. It would still be reasonable to check the voltage.

That metal thing just to the left of the pressure switch nipple and the PVC is a check valve. Usually you are better to not have one of those up top. It could mask certain problems. In particular, it is possible that your down pipe has a hole in it. How long does the pump run when you are getting those 5 PSI increments? It probably the pump, however.

MdJoe

Reaction score
Yep, that's what you think it is. With a single fuse, your pump is probably a 115 volt pump. It would still be reasonable to check the voltage.

That metal thing just to the left of the pressure switch nipple and the PVC is a check valve. Usually you are better to not have one of those up top. It could mask certain problems. In particular, it is possible that your down pipe has a hole in it. How long does the pump run when you are getting those 5 PSI increments? It probably the pump, however.
Pump runs about 30 seconds. Towards the end, it sounds like it's starving for water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Pumps have two labels, one for the pump, and one for the motor. I would take a photo of both if it is handy, but don't get in the way.

If the pump guy was not coming tomorrow, I would be thinking of trying to work around this by lowering the pressure on the pressure switch by maybe 5 psi, and also reducing the precharge on the pressure tank accordingly.

MdJoe

Reaction score
Pumps have two labels, one for the pump, and one for the motor. I would take a photo of both if it is handy, but don't get in the way.

If the pump guy was not coming tomorrow, I would be thinking of trying to work around this by lowering the pressure on the pressure switch by maybe 5 psi, and also reducing the precharge on the pressure tank accordingly.
I did not get a well guy to come out yet. My pump is submersible, and I have no idea how deep. I have been in the construction and electrical industry for over 20 years, but from what I've read, I prefer someone with pump experience if the pump needs to be pulled.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is what I suggest for the temporary work-around: Turn the 3/8 nut, on the pressure switch, that is on the big spring, 2 turns counterclockwise. That should drop the pump pressures by about 6 psi on both cut-in and cut out. Adjust the air precharge to 32 psi if the new cut-in is 34 psi.

Or do 3.5 turns ccw for about 10 PSI lowering.

Start researching local well people.

When he pulls the pump, note the mark on the pipe where the waterline is. That would tell you the static level. Note how far down the pump is. You could probably just ask the pump guy. Put your notes near the pressure tank.

MdJoe

Reaction score
Here is what I suggest for the temporary work-around: Turn the 3/8 nut, on the pressure switch, that is on the big spring, 2 turns counterclockwise. That should drop the pump pressures by about 6 psi on both cut-in and cut out. Adjust the air precharge to 32 psi if the new cut-in is 34 psi.

Or do 3.5 turns ccw for about 10 PSI lowering.

Start researching local well people.

When he pulls the pump, note the mark on the pipe where the waterline is. That would tell you the static level. Note how far down the pump is. You could probably just ask the pump guy. Put your notes near the pressure tank.
There are notes on my wall next to that switch, but it says pump is 4.5-5 feet down. That seems too shallow to me.

Reach4

Reaction score
Put "flow inducer", with the quotes, into the search box above.

MdJoe

Reaction score
No idea if I have that. It does look like the pump is new when I look in the well. New looking wires and a nice shiny pitless adapter

Reach4

Reaction score
They are easily fabricated, but not used often enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks