Well Pump Turning On and Off

Users who are viewing this thread

cdogstu99

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a well in my backyard that I have been using to fill my pool with no problems. Without any sort of attachments on the hose it works fine--water flows perfect. I went to try one of a simple lawn sprinkler that rotates back and forth with spray--and I can hear the pump clicking (I think turning on and off?) while the water flow from sprinkler goes up and done. Note I'm not having this issue when just a hose is hooked up. Any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
It's probably a failed pressure tank.

You could try adjusting the air precharge, but usually you will end up replacing the pressure tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The wide open hose is letting out all the water the pump can produce, which is the only way a regular pressure tank system will not cause the pump to cycle on/off. When you add a sprinkler to the hose you are restricting the output. The pump produces extra water that fills the pressure tank and causes the pump to cycle on/off. Cycling is what causes the pump to be destroyed. You either need to run enough sprinklers at one time to keep the pump from cycling, or use a Cycle Stop Valve that will stop the cycling and let you use just one or as few sprinklers as you want.

cdogstu99

Reaction score
thanks .... @valveman i kind of figured that was the issue. I'm a bit clueless in regards to the pump--where exactly would i install that cycle stop valve (see my well below)----and is there a particular kind or make i need?

https://ibb.co/mKt8ca

cant see it but there is spigot on right side below that pressure gauge where I have my hose connected.

Thanks guys!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You have an old Jacuzzi Aqua Genie under that blue pressure tank. Either the Aqua Genie is not working or it is just set too high. The adjustment bolt is sticking down into the ground below the tank. Dig up where you can turn the bolt. There is a lock nut at the bottom of the adjustment bolt you need to loosen. Then you can loosen the adjustment bolt until the pump stays running while the sprinkler is on. If backing out the adjustment bolt doesn't stop the pump from cycling on/off, you need a CSV1A to replace the Aqua Genie.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks