Well Pump/Switch Question

Users who are viewing this thread

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
As I was drawing some raw water off a bib next to my pressure tank, I noticed the pressure decreasing fast. Down at 30psi, I thought i heard the pump kick on (40-60 switch), the decreasing pressure slowed a bit and then went to 20psi and suddenly dropped to zero with a bang and then recovered to 20-30psi I think after a second or so. I shut the bib off at that point.

Any ideas on what to look for or what would cause this?

Seems my pump cant maintain 40 psi with water running. Sprinklers run at 30psi (4 heads max in each zone with only 1.5gpm nozzles). Pump is about 2-3 years old and pumps about 10gpm. Switch is about 4-5 years old. Yesterday while i was in shower, a toilet was flushed and the shower dropped down to almost nothing for about a minute and then recovered. Guessing the pressure is dropping to almost zero during that time.

I had the well company out last year thinking we had a pump issue and pulled the pump up and it was pumping as expected he said (where we measured the ~10gpm flow)

TIA

Reach4

Reaction score
If this is a 3-wire submersible pump, with a topside control box, the start capacitor could be weak, and not always start the motor right away. The start relay could also be lazy, but that seems less likely. However if the start capacitor is the cause, there would be a lot of current drawn until the motor starts. That would usually be expected to trip the breaker.

Monitor the output voltage from the pressure switch during one of these episodes. That would typically be measured across terminals 2 and 3.

You might be able to use jumper leads to hook the meter to the wiring, and take a movie of the meter so you don't have to watch for long.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A clip around type AC amp meter would be the best way to figure this out. My guess is it will draw max amps for a short time, peg out, and then zero amps. This means the overload in the motor is tripping. It just resets itself in a minute or so and water comes back on. It is not a good thing. Need to figure out why a 3 year old pump is tripping overloads. First guess would be too much cycling on and off.

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
ok, I'll have to get a clamp on AC meter. heading out on vacation tomorrow, so it'll be a little bit.

All i have up top is the pressure switch, no control panel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks