Well pump sticking going down

Users who are viewing this thread

skeeter200

Reaction score
give history ,pump went out year and half ago,old pump broke off at screw in fitting on pump ,believe it fell to bottom .installed new 4inch pump lasted one and half year .installed it about 30 foot less than old pump ,going by new poly pipe we installed ,like i say year and half later pump goes out ,put it at same depth runs shuts off ,pumps red nasty water clear water back to red nasty water ,decided two drop pump down 50 more feet,going down pump comes to haunt,won't go any futher .wondering if i go with 3inch pump worth doing or just paying for camera inspection.believe well to be 300 plus feet from dropping line down casing

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sometimes you can drop chlorine in the well and it will calm things down where the camera can see better. If it is steel casing it is probably just rusted up. But I just ran into one like this a while back that turned out to be tree roots.

If you screw galv steel fittings into a brass or stainless check or pump, you need to wrap all of that with electric tape to keep electrolysis from eating that galv nipple out quickly.

3" pump might be your best option, but even that will get rusted in if rust is the problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
yes 4 inch pvc lined
Does the PVC go to the bottom? If so, I wonder why you are getting resistance. I have a "4 inch" pump in a 4 inch steel casing well -- much worse. Most "4 inch" pumps are 3-7/8, but some, like mine, are 3-3/4 max diameter.

These include Franklin J-class 5 and 7 GPM, Goulds Streamline, and a few others.

The 3 inch sounds nice, but I am concerned about a pump that spins over 10000 RPM.

skeeter200

Reaction score
Does the PVC go to the bottom? If so, I wonder why you are getting resistance. I have a "4 inch" pump in a 4 inch steel casing well -- much worse. Most "4 inch" pumps are 3-7/8, but some, like mine, are 3-3/4 max diameter.

These include Franklin J-class 5 and 7 GPM, Goulds Streamline, and a few others.

The 3 inch sounds nice, but I am concerned about a pump that spins over 10000 RPM.
i really don't know how far it goes down,well has always had alot of iron in water ,use rain soft filtering system ,i think just gonna get camera run down it ,don't want to drill another well for 10 to 12 thousand dollars

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It's possible the 4" PVC collapsed because the pump got hot from running dry.
That was what I was thinking as well. Either the first pump that broke off circulated water until it got the casing hot, or the second pump got clogged with iron and got the casing hot. It either had to get hot, break, or got so crooked the pump won't go down.

skeeter200

Reaction score
i really don't know how far it goes down,well has always had alot of iron in water ,use rain soft filtering system ,i think just gonna get camera run down it ,don't want to drill another well for 10 to 12 thousand dollars
i live in longview texas if anyone knows of a camera man to inspect down well

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks