Well Pump short cycling - only when running water

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Davis

Reaction score
Hi,
Any help appreciated.
Pressure gauge reads 44 psi.
when water runs the pressure switch engages every 15-30 seconds even though pressure gauge never changes @44psi. Worked fine for over 20 years.
I'm just starting out here so any recommendations would be helpful. I have not checked any pressures, either system or tank yet. But wondering what would cause short cycling in general when water is run only. It seems to me it would be the pressure switch but not sure.
Thanks
-TD

Reach4

Reaction score
On the gauge always reading 44, get a new gauge.

On the short cycling, set your air precharge correctly.

Odds are you need a new pressure tank, but not necessarily.

Maybe tell us more about your well, pump, and pressure tank.

Tom Davis

Reaction score
On the gauge always reading 44, get a new gauge.

On the short cycling, set your air precharge correctly.

Odds are you need a new pressure tank, but not necessarily.

Maybe tell us more about your well, pump, and pressure tank.

Thanks!
This is for a friend so i will go back and check more.
The Tank is a Wellmate wm-14b , factory precharge 40 psi. I understand I need to look at the underside of the cover for the pressure switch for base settings and will do, so at least initially should I be checking for 40psi on the tank?
I'm just initially trying to understand regardless what might be making it cycle like that, been doing for like 3 months and obviously will burn out pump if not fixed. I have a pressure gauge to read house pressure which hopefully matches.
I'll respond with the tank and that house pressure measurement tomorrow and appreciate the quick response!
I know nothing about the actually pump at this point.
Thanks
-TD

Reach4

Reaction score
he Tank is a Wellmate wm-14b , factory precharge 40 psi. I understand I need to look at the underside of the cover for the pressure switch for base settings and will do, so at least initially should I be checking for 40psi on the tank?
Pressure switches are adjustable.

If the pressure switch kicks on at 40 psi, and the pump is submersible, air precharge would be set to 38.

The WellMate WM-14WB I think is a tank with a bladder rather than a diaphragm. That makes it more likely that the pressure tank will need to be replaced, and preferably with a different kind.

So after 20 years, I would consider shopping for a new pressure tank if going to visit for investigation is not easy.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
About a 99.9999% chance the well mate tank is bad. At one time they had so many warranty problems with this size, my distributor threw their new stock in the dumpster. Wouldn’t even give them away for free.

Tom Davis

Reaction score
About a 99.9999% chance the well mate tank is bad. At one time they had so many warranty problems with this size, my distributor threw their new stock in the dumpster. Wouldn’t even give them away for free.
Thanks for all of the responses!
OK, so for completeness, outside spigot reading is 36psi, water gauge with tank is 44, and air pressure is 44 psi. The pressure switch is a square-d 40/60. Is it worth resetting the pressure in the tank or do my readings most likely indicate it's bad?
The tank is like 21 years old so ...
If I do go for a new tank, any recommendations that would make a good replacement?
Thanks again!
-TD

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks