Well pump replacement questions

Users who are viewing this thread

behancs

Reaction score
Long story short...

Bought a house... few days later the well pump ran and ran without giving me any true water pressure.

Looked at the old pump and in was pretty darn old so I took it off so I could see what I would need... I need a 1/2 hp convertible jet pump.

No problem I will order that.... Here is where it gets a little spicy. There is galvonized pipe coming through the concrete so it is rigid.... The previous installer cut the upper pipe and used a compression coupling to attach it to the upper pump inlet. The bottom discharge pipe I literally threaded the pump off of it because it is sticking straight out of the wall.

I have a strong feeling that the new pump isn't going to be able to line up perfectly with the two pipes that are cemented through the wall. Is there a fitting I can do on the pipes to convert it to the more flexible plastic piping once it gets into the house so that I can get everything to line up correctly?

I know a lot of people are going to say replace the well lines.... Which i would have to do myself due to budget... I have done it before and I only want to go that route if its necessary..

I'm sure a few people can relate to buying their first house and having their first fairly large headache. I am lucky that I am not living there yet bc it needs so much work... so I can go a few days without the well pump and figure out the best plan of attack.

There is a slight amount of rust in the pipes from what I can see but it doesn't look as bad as galvanized drains tend to look...

Attachments

• 20170815_210246.jpg
    20170815_210246.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 272

behancs

Reaction score
thank you valveman! So the 1" lower pipe is threaded. The upper pipe was cut so there is no thread. Do you happen to know the type of fittings i should get and where to get them?

Thank you again!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Blew up the pic but still can't tell. Is that top pipe black steel or plastic? Either way looks like it is in a compression coupling. If that nut against the wall unscrews you should be able to get the black pipe out. But you may have to chissle the wall out to get it back together.

behancs

Reaction score
i put the nut over the saran wrap i have covering the well lines.... i thought it was all galvanized... house was built in 61... not sure if much changed over the years..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks