Well pump replacement. Did I pay too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Shaun777

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My well pump just went and I had to get it replaced. It was a Goulds .75 hp 7gpm 2 stage. It had to go into the 220 ft deep well. Cost me $1850 for parts and labor. Im not sure if I paid too much or if that is in the normal limits. Any input?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just like with any other job around the house, the time to compare prices is before you get the job done.

Suppose for a minute you paid too much, what are you going to do now?

Is the new pump working? If yes, that's good. Don't worry, be happy.

Shaun777

Reaction score
Just like with any other job around the house, the time to compare prices is before you get the job done.

Suppose for a minute you paid too much, what are you going to do now?

Is the new pump working? If yes, that's good. Don't worry, be happy.

Actually, the pump is not doing as good a job as the 5gpm .5hp one that was in. The water pressure is less. I am taking the sediment filter into account, but i would use the term "working" loosely.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My well pump just went and I had to get it replaced. It was a Goulds .75 hp 7gpm 2 stage. It had to go into the 220 ft deep well. Cost me $1850 for parts and labor. Im not sure if I paid too much or if that is in the normal limits. Any input?
Its probably a 13 stage pump such as the 7GS07, or something close.

In getting pumps installed, IMO the labor is under-quoted and the pump markup includes some factors that you would consider service. Plus, I think if it fails, the installer will replace it, including service, for some period. So its not as overpriced as it seems.

I think it is done that way because people tend to be more sensitive to labor charges compared to equipment charges. The downside is that sales tax is charged on hardware. Maybe there is some advantage to the pump people if the charge is put on the hardware, such as the tax being in a different category? I don't know. I think in some places services are taxed to the end user the same as hardware, but in the US, the end user usually pays higher tax on hardware.

I am not a pro. I am confident that some well people think you were undercharged.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Anytime you pull and set a pump it will stir up sediment. So I am sure you need to clean the filter. The 7GS07 should actually pump a little more pressure and volume from 220' than the 7GS05 did, so clean the filter.

I can find those 7GS07 pumps on line for 680 bucks. Most well guys will double that price and add another 400-500 for labor. Like Reach says though, they should be selling the pump for 680 and charging 1000 bucks for labor. That is still cheap labor for a service truck and crew with all the tools and insurance, etc. If you ever pull and set a 220' pump by hand or with a chain hoist, you will realize a 1000 bucks is cheap.

The problem with price shopping a well pump is that you are already out of water. If you want your water back to working you pay the man whatever he ask and just be happy. If you take time to shop around for price, it maybe a few days before you get someone over to start working on the water system. Although, taking the contractor who can "come right over" is rarely the best choice.

Shaun777

Reaction score
Anytime you pull and set a pump it will stir up sediment. So I am sure you need to clean the filter. The 7GS07 should actually pump a little more pressure and volume from 220' than the 7GS05 did, so clean the filter.

I can find those 7GS07 pumps on line for 680 bucks. Most well guys will double that price and add another 400-500 for labor. Like Reach says though, they should be selling the pump for 680 and charging 1000 bucks for labor. That is still cheap labor for a service truck and crew with all the tools and insurance, etc. If you ever pull and set a 220' pump by hand or with a chain hoist, you will realize a 1000 bucks is cheap.

The problem with price shopping a well pump is that you are already out of water. If you want your water back to working you pay the man whatever he ask and just be happy. If you take time to shop around for price, it maybe a few days before you get someone over to start working on the water system. Although, taking the contractor who can "come right over" is rarely the best choice.

You nailed everything. I think it was about right for the price. I did have to clean some sediment out of the system and change the filter a second time. The pressure is back to normal. Someone had told me that I had paid too much, putting doubt into my head. It went in in 1 day and I feel some would pay more and some would pay less. Thanks for the input guys.

Reach4

Reaction score
You nailed everything. I think it was about right for the price. I did have to clean some sediment out of the system and change the filter a second time. The pressure is back to normal. Someone had told me that I had paid too much, putting doubt into my head. It went in in 1 day and I feel some would pay more and some would pay less. Thanks for the input guys.
Normally the hose bib would be before the spiggot filter. Had you run a bunch of water to the ditch before using water in the house, most of the extra junk would have not have hit the filter.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

And there is an advantage to getting the water back on as soon as possible, and that is worth quite a bit.

There is a way to improve on a pressure tank type pump controls system. You might want to look at this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks