Well pump recommendation with high static water

Users who are viewing this thread

Brody Reb

Reaction score
Reach-
Do Dole valves reduce system pressure before the pressure sensor? What I'm reading indicates Dole valves only limit max flow to the Dole valve GPM rating?

Fitter-
Pump set at 300'. static is 10'.
Grundfos 15SQE15-290
1" 200# poly drop and line to the house. Filter and softener not purchased or installed yet. Will likely go for a Fleck valve system recommended for this well performance. Here is the pump curve for the pump installed.

mass_80421_1000s1.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Do Dole valves reduce system pressure before the pressure sensor?
Yes. I am not sure where you would want to place that Dole valve, so solicit opinions. . Maybe somebody will think that you don't need one with your 10 ft static level.

I presume you bought a CU-301. Keep your warranty info. If it fails after warranty, you can consider https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/replacing-sqe-or-cu301-with-csv

Dole is the original brand. But I see https://www.flomatic.com/valves/automatic-control-valves/flow-control/flo-trol-cd900/ (Flomatic makes good check valves). They show bigger diameters, tho 1 inch is probably big enough for you. to put 15 or 20 gallons through.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With the CSV and a small tank (10 gallon size) I don't think you need a Dole valve. Just don't use more than 18 GPM and the CSV will keep the back pressure needed on the pump. The 205 PSI on 200 PSI pipe is fine as the burst pressure of pipe is 2-5 times the rated pressure. Also that is plenty of pump to make up for any friction loss.

Brody Reb

Reaction score
They installed the SQE with a standard pressure switch and tank instead of a CU-301, so it's just running like an SQ. It's been difficult making requests with well drillers/installers in my area.

How would I ensure I don't exceed 18 GPM if I'm using a standard well setup with CSV? Would installing an 18 GPM dole valve right before a CSV play nicely together? Gain the constant pressure of the CSV while limiting the upper end of flow to 18gpm?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Without the CU301 box it is just an SQ pump, which works very well with a CSV. We replace a lot of CU301 boxes with a CSV1A and a pressure switch. You can have strong constant pressure from an SQ pump by just adding a CSV. Amazingly the amps of a SQ pump drop the same way (about 50%) when restricted with a CSV as when slowed down with the complicated and expensive CU301 variable speed controller.

The CSV works like a variable Dole valve. As long as you don't open up more than 18 GPM worth of faucets, the CSV will keep the pump from pumping anymore than 18 GPM. But if there is a possibility of someone opening too many faucets then an 18 GPM Dole valve installed WITH a CSV1A will let the flow be varied from 1 to 80 HPM max.

Reach4

Reaction score
The CSV works like a variable Dole valve. As long as you don't open up more than 18 GPM worth of faucets, the CSV will keep the pump from pumping anymore than 18 GPM.
Would that really stop the pump from delivering 28 gpm before the pressure rises to the set point on the CSV?

Brody Reb

Reaction score
I can't find a 18 gpm dole valve or a retailer listing the Flomatic CDX17 part #. I will try to contact a few dealers.

These were the closest to 18 I came across without exceeding. Do you all have preference or advice on a brand to avoid? Even though it's adding another device for potential failure, I would like to add it right before the CSV.

https://www.rcworst.com/Dole-Flow-Regulator-1-FNPT-15-00-GPM-GX15-DV150-p1958.html
https://www.rcworst.com/viqua-frss-15-8-flow-restrictor-15-8gpm-1-fnpt.html
https://www.aquascience.net/15-0-gpm-dole-flow-regulator-1-fpt-female-no-lead-gx-15

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I can't find a 18 gpm dole valve or a retailer listing the Flomatic CDX17 part #. I will try to contact a few dealers.

These were the closest to 18 I came across without exceeding. Do you all have preference or advice on a brand to avoid? Even though it's adding another device for potential failure, I would like to add it right before the CSV.

https://www.rcworst.com/Dole-Flow-Regulator-1-FNPT-15-00-GPM-GX15-DV150-p1958.html
https://www.rcworst.com/viqua-frss-15-8-flow-restrictor-15-8gpm-1-fnpt.html
https://www.aquascience.net/15-0-gpm-dole-flow-regulator-1-fpt-female-no-lead-gx-15

You can make one from a ball valve. Just set the ball valve to give you 18 GPM max and take the handle off.

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking 20 gpm for the Dole valve, if you use one.

Brody Reb

Reaction score
20 gpm seems to be more common and easy to source.

What happens if 18/20 gpm is exceeded on the CSV? Does that cause premature wear on the CSV? Or does that exceed the pressure limit the CSV is capable of knocking down?

Reach4

Reaction score
What happens if 18/20 gpm is exceeded on the CSV? Does that cause premature wear on the CSV? Or does that exceed the pressure limit the CSV is capable of knocking down?
I am pretty sure that the CSV just reduces its output pressure a little more due to more friction/turbulence. The pressure difference that the CSV sees will be more at low gpm than high gpm.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The CSV1A is good up to 25 GPM. But it will let through a lot more like 40 GPM, it just has a lot of friction loss. You still need a Dole or ball valve to limit the upper flow as the CSV just opens up when the pressure drops.

Brody Reb

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info and advice from both of you. I will be adding ball valves when I set this up, but want to minimize potential errors I make since it's all new to me. If or when the dole valve fails, I'll play with using the ball valve to limit flow then.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info and advice from both of you. I will be adding ball valves when I set this up, but want to minimize potential errors I make since it's all new to me. If or when the dole valve fails, I'll play with using the ball valve to limit flow then.
Make sure that ball valve never gets closed.

Brody Reb

Reaction score
Update for anyone curious that comes across this thread. The advice I received has been spot on. The Grundfos SQ pump along with CSV work great together. PSI before CSV stays under 200 PSI with pressure switch set from 50-70. Still dialing in CSV based on needs, but keeps the pump from cycling set at 55 PSI. Last time I tried adjusting it closer/higher the pressure switch would sometimes turn off. I'm guessing this is due to the differential being slightly over what the CSV wants to see. I'll try adjusting it again later (working on filtration and other things at the moment) and may possibly add a 2nd CSV as Cary suggested to stair step the pressure down.

1.5 SQ pump soft start is amazing and pulls ~9.4 amps initially. Based on water usage, amp drops down to 5.8, thanks to the CSV!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The CSV1A can be turned up as high as 150 PSI. You just have to turn up the pressure switch before you can turn up the CSV. The regular Square D switch can be turned up to about 55/75 max. This would allow you to turn up the CSV to 70 PSI without the pump turning off. With a heavy duty pressure switch you can go as high as you want. With a pump that builds 200 on the inlet side of the CSV, the higher you set the CSV and pressure switch, the less the second CSV is needed. With a CSV setting of 75 PSI using a 65/85 pressure switch, there is only 125 PSI differential across the CSV and only one is needed. It is setting at less than 75 PSI that causes the high differential that would make a second CSV1A advantageous.

When adjusting a pressure switch, never mess with the small adjustment screw.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks