Well pump. Really need some advice

Users who are viewing this thread

JTL

Reaction score
I have what I believe is a 3" well casing. For many years I have been using cheap Lowes or HD jet pumps. I once replaced my original pump with a Gould and it did last much beyond the warranty. I did not put the well in, that was before my time in this house and we have been here 20 years. In order to make the jet pump work the pipes were down sized to 1' and 3/4" so they would fit into the casing. In 20 years I have replaced the pumps 5 times.

Now on to my question. Can I put a small diameter submersible into this casing and get better pressure and more reliability? I should mention that the top water level is about 25' and I think the depth is 70'. My neighbor has a regular surface pump and it struggles as the water level drops. I am a diyer but never have I worked on wells, other than to replace my pumps.

Reach4

Reaction score
The Grundfos SQ pumps are 2.9 inches in diameter. So that fits into 3 inch PVC nicely.

If you have 3 inch steel, then I don't know. I imagine that depends on what shape it is in.

I have what I believe is a 3" well casing.
What is the outside circumference and material of your casing?

In 20 years I have replaced the pumps 5 times.
Are you referring to the above-ground pump, or the down-hole stuff?

Last edited:

JTL

Reaction score
The Grundfos SQ pumps are 2.9 inches in diameter. So that fits into 3 inch PVC nicely.

If you have 3 inch steel, then I don't know. I imagine that depends on what shape it is in.

What is the circumpherance and material of your casing?

Are you referring to the above-ground pump, or the down-hole stuff?

Steel casing, 3".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks