Well pump problems

Users who are viewing this thread

samWski

Reaction score
A recent storm knocked out our power for a week. We didn't have any water when it came back on. I discovered the copper line going to a small electrical box was plugged with sediment. The gauge wasn't working either because of gunk blocking the hole.

Pressure was reading 44 psi after I cleaned things up but the pump would run continuously. If I turned off the single pole switch and turned it back on the pump would remain off. A day later there's no pressure and water just trickles from the faucet.

There's a large plug on a valve body on top of the pump. Water sprays everywhere when I loosen it and bubbles out if I remove it. Once I tighten it back up and start the pump I'll have about 10 psi but it quickly drops to zero. The pump goes from a nice humming
sound to a rattling noise too.

I also tried to remove a small plug on the opposite side from where the copper tube goes to the electrical contacts. It fell right out when I turned it. Not there's some seepage of gunk from there.

Any ideas what's going on?

samWski

Reaction score
A recent storm knocked out our power for a week. We didn't have any water when it came back on. I discovered the copper line going to a small electrical box was plugged with sediment. The gauge wasn't working either because of gunk blocking the hole.

Pressure was reading 44 psi after I cleaned things up but the pump would run continuously. If I turned off the single pole switch and turned it back on the pump would remain off. A day later there's no pressure and water just trickles from the faucet.

There's a large plug on a valve body on top of the pump. Water sprays everywhere when I loosen it and bubbles out if I remove it. Once I tighten it back up and start the pump I'll have about 10 psi but it quickly drops to zero. The pump goes from a nice humming
sound to a rattling noise too.

I also tried to remove a small plug on the opposite side from where the copper tube goes to the electrical contacts. It fell right out when I turned it. Not there's some seepage of gunk from there.

Any ideas what's going on?
IMG_20200812_195030929~2_resize_49.jpg

samWski

Reaction score
Is the back pressure valve the thing on top of the pump? If so that and the pump were installed in 1986.
Probably need a new back pressure valve. May also need to clean or replace the ejector at the bottom of the well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah that back pressure valve with the adjustment bolt sticking to the left is probably also full of silt. I would get a new valve at least. If the pump has been moving a lot of sediment you might as well get the whole thing while you at it.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We got hit hard in Southbury, 6 days with no power!

Jet pumps are your best friend or worst nightmare.

Now would be a really good time to convert that old jet system to a submersible. Those old cast iron jet pumps have rust deposits in them that can & will break loose and go down and plug the jet. By the time you buy a new Goulds jet pump, a jet assy, well seal, fittings, poly pipe, labor etc you're almost at the same price point as a stainless submersible that will out perform that jet everyday of the week.

Something to consider

samWski

Reaction score
We ended up getting a new jet pump, piping from the top of the well down, and foot valve. I think that's all. We haven't been billed yet.

Craigpump, I didn't check in here and missed what you had to say. I'm a little bummed out about it now.

Approximately how much would the job you described cost? I think our well is down 75-100'

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks