Well pump pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

peterd

Reaction score
Its is possible for a home owner to change the values a well pump pressure switch comes on at. Right now the pressure switch is set for about 30psi (looks more like 28psi on the meter) and kicks off at 60psi. I would like to up the 30psi to say 40psi. Is this possible without replacing the pressure switch altogether? Is the 30/60 normal or am I better off with 40/60?

Thanks
Peter

Speedbump

Reaction score
It is possible. With the 30/60 setting you get a better drawdown than with 40/60, but less pressure at the low end. The bigger drawdown is always better for the pump motor, but bad in the shower. Your call.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

peterd

Reaction score
Bob,

If I decide to change the pressure switch from 30/60 to 40/60 do I have to worry about the amout of air in the bladder? How about if I decide to change it the pressure switch to 40/70?

To set get the correct pressure in the bladder I suspect that I will need to drain the pressure tank of water?

Thanks
Peter

peterd

Reaction score
Is anyone farmilar with a air-over-water-tank pressure tank? Is does not have a bladder from what Starite is telling me. So if I wish to adjust the pressure setting on the tank is it just a matter of adjusting the pressure switch?

Thanks
Peter

Speedbump

Reaction score
I have never heard anyone call a pneumatic and air over water before. Since air is lighter than water, the air is going to be over the water anyway.

Adjusting the pressure is like you say, but you will have to de waterlog this tank all the time.

bob...

peterd

Reaction score
Bob,

What do you mean be de-waterlog all of the time. Is the something I am suppose to be doing that I am not. The pump/well driller never mentioned anything. :eek:

-Peter

peterd

Reaction score
Well this is getting more fun by the minute. I went and inspected trhe tank tonight. The tank has an input from the well, an output for the house service, pressure gauge, and pressure switch. Thats it. Nothing else. There isn't an Air Volume Control unless it's part of the pressure gauge. Also from what I can tell there does not exist a drain on the tank.

Here is the link to the tank. What I am trying to do is increase the pressure from 28/56 to 40/60. I just don't want to blow anything up.

Gary, will increasing the pressure affect the erosion chlorinator at all?

Thanks
Peter

Speedbump

Reaction score
If your tank looks like the third picture down with the Air Volume Control and your gauge is on top of it. You may at one time had an air making system. I don't think we discussed your pump, so I'm assuming you have a submersible. And if the above is true, your air making device of hole in the pipe has plugged up and is no longer making air. This results in a waterlogged tank.

bob...

peterd

Reaction score
I will take some pictures of the tank tonight and post them. I am the original owner of the house. The tank is 18 months old.

Thanks
Peter

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Increasing the pressure settings won't effect an inline pellet chlorinator. Not having the proper air pressure in the tank probably will though.

Whoever installed the tank should have used a regular (cast bronze etc.) tank tee and plumbed in a boiler drain to allow draining of the tank and also a pressure relief valve, which is code.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

peterd

Reaction score
Well here are some pictures of the tank. Your guys can the try to figure out what I have.

Thanks
Peter

Attachments

• P8300093.jpg
    P8300093.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 5,454
  • P8300094.jpg
    P8300094.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 5,301
  • P8300095.jpg
    P8300095.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 5,254
  • P8300096.jpg
    P8300096.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 5,197
  • P8300102.jpg
    P8300102.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 5,309

Speedbump

Reaction score
That is a Johnson Air Volume Control (air release valve) on the side under the gauge. Apparently you had an air making system and it's not working now. If your pump is cycling that is.

The tank you have is definately not a bladder tank.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks