Well pump only 20PSI

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaron1995

Reaction score
I have an above ground well pump and pressure tank. about a week ago, I noticed a few leaks in the crawl space near the pump. I replaced the joints/pipes that were leaking and found out my pressure tank needed replacing. It had corrosion and hunks of metal inside of it. So I replaced the pressure tank, and the piping going into the pump(only what was in crawl space. Not all the way back to the well) and the old leaky piping near the tank/pump. I noticed the pump was short cycling after that, so I replaced the pressure switch and that fixed it for a few days. Then I noticed the pump would only produce about 30-35 psi. Had no time to fix it so I turned down the pressure switch until I could figure out what the problem was. Now the pump will only put out around 20 psi and stays running constantly. Haven't found anymore leaks. Any ideas what is causing me to not get any pressure? The pump is only a few years old and worked fine a few weeks ago.

Reach4

Reaction score
Typically this means that you need to run a wire through the nozzle of the venturi. There will be a plug on the pump for the purpose.

For example, 0n page 1o http://www.simerpumps.com/resources/images/328.pdf , item #10 is a plug which you remove to let you poke a wire through the hole in #9. There are 3 plugs labeled as #10. I think it would be the middle of the 3.

How big of a wire? Commonly a piece of coat hanger wire as comes from dry cleaners is suggested. I think those used to be around 12 AWG, but I think they got lightened up to about 14 AWG. Closets used to overflow with those hangers. If your closet lacks such a hanger, and if you go to a place that sells wire by the foot, a foot of 14 AWG solid (copper is good, insulation removed if present) seems like a safe choice. I don't know how big those nozzles actually are.

Last edited:

Aaron1995

Reaction score
That is bigger than #10 AWG -- almost #8.
Which of these plugs would lead to the Venturi? I ran a coat hanger through the back one and got a little sediment out with it, but water is flowing out of all of the holes when I pull the plugs. So I don't think there's anything blocking them. Ran the wire through, primed the pump and bled the air out and still same issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 733

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that red part on top a label with make and model info?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The plug under the suction line. Throw that galvanized nipple under the pressure switch away while you're at it.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks