Well pump on last legs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
He stated when he puts the unit in back flush mode the pump struggles to keep up with the water demand.
Was this cartridge filter in series with the supply to the backwashing filter (iron maybe)? If so, the new cartridge may have solved that. If the cartridge is before the backwashing filter, and the flow is still low, maybe go to a less restrictive filter cartridge, such as 100 micron.

Many backwashing filters take a lot more flow during backwash than normal household use, or softener backwashing, takes. What the person should have done is to see what the pressure gauge read during the struggling.

Glad the mystery is solved.

428dragpak

Reaction score
He stated when he puts the unit in back flush mode the pump struggles to keep up with the water demand.
Was this cartridge filter in series with the supply to the backwashing filter (iron maybe)? If so, the new cartridge may have solved that. If the cartridge is before the backwashing filter, and the flow is still low, maybe go to a less restrictive filter cartridge, such as 100 micron.

Many backwashing filters take a lot more flow during backwash than normal household use, or softener backwashing, takes. What the person should have done is to see what the pressure gauge read during the struggling.

Glad the mystery is solved.
The filter is after the water conditioner.

He has to come back tomorrow as the new tank has a slight leak. So I will ask him to get me once he is finished and starts backwashing and I will video it and report back.

Reach4

Reaction score
The filter is after the water conditioner.

He has to come back tomorrow as the new tank has a slight leak. So I will ask him to get me once he is finished and starts backwashing and I will video it and report back.
If your water pressure falls to below 30 PSI and stays during backwash, then probably pump is not up to the task. Ask what the media is, and what the backwash GPM should be. A quick search would seem to say that tannin ion resins don't have a very high backwash rate.

If your tank is natural tan, you can observe the bed expansion with a bright light behind or beside the tank, in a dark room. So if your resin bed top is at 30 inches, and rises to 39 inches during backwash, that would be 30% bed expansion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks