Well Pump making loud banging noise

Users who are viewing this thread

armeca

Reaction score
I have a well w/pump that recently started to make a loud banking noise only when my sprinking system turns on. Sprinkler runs from 3am-9am every day. No noise when taking showers, running sink or any other water.

The pump was also recycling every 30 secs so I knew something wasn't right. Pump and Pressure tank are 20yrs old.

I called a well guy and they replaced the pressure tank with a Well Trol WX202. They also replaced the check valve, pessure relief valve and the pressure switch that turns pump on/off.

Everything seemed to be OK when the well guy was here. The recycling problem went away until my sprinkler system went back on at 3am and runs until 9am, I started to here the load banging noise again. I called the well guy and they didn't really know what it could be or how to fix it. That didn't make me feel to confident in the work that they did.

Now they wanted to start pulling my pump and replace a check value down the well or maybe the pump too. I guess it is located somewhere near where the pump is connected. I have a check on the line before the pressure tank too. That is also new.

So, I still have the load noise, only when the sprinkler system goes on. The new pressure relief valve is also leaking probably due to the loud bang and high pressure that seems to be pumped back into the pipes every 50-60 seconds. Recyle goes from 40-65psi.

Is the 65 psi too high? It use to go from 40-60psi. Does this cause more pressure?

I don't to go back the well guy without know something about what could be causing the problem. I feel like they are taking advantage of the situation!

Thoughts?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
That tank is quite small and the pump must come on each time about 5.0 gallons is used. A Goulds tank that give about 25 gallons is 380$ around here. You can solve the cycling by combining zones so that the pump does NOT reach shut off pressure when the irrigation is running. You might need to even raise the cut out pressure a bit more to help with that scheme. 6 hours of irrigation? you have a farm? You should have at least an 85 gallon tank or a csv for the irrigation portion of your system. Assuming your well makes the water, combine zones to use enough water so that your pump cannot reach shut off pressure while still providing enough pressure to the sprinklers.

I doubt that this well guy has the knowledge if he knew about your irrigation issues. You might try an irrigation guy by running these ideas past him and seeing if he "gets it". A good technichan can tweak your system even though the well guy should have sold you a bigger tank [but perhaps he tried and you wanted to save some $?]

But even with a huge tank, its best to adjust the system to run continuously by DESIGN when irrigating. Often not easy or cheap dependant upon the layout and abilities of the owner. I suppose thats where the CSV valve steps in - it makes the zone issue irrelevant, though with some additional electricity costs.

Since you have water hammer on shut off, you must have a quite high flow pump, and hopefully that means a high production well. In that case combining zones and reducing your run time to 2 or 3 hours from 6 will save you a lot of money in power and pump life in reduced cycling

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
But even with a huge tank, its best to adjust the system to run continuously by DESIGN when irrigating. Often not easy or cheap dependant upon the layout and abilities of the owner. I suppose thats where the CSV valve steps in - it makes the zone issue irrelevant, though with some additional electricity costs.

Even with a big tank, it is a must that you adjust the system to run continuously when irrigating. The problem with doubling up on the number of sprinklers is that there is no more water left to use in the house. If it runs from 3Am to 9AM, about 7AM someone is going to want some water for a shower and it won't be there. With a CSV, you won't have to double up on the zones, you will still have plenty of water for a shower, the pressure will be constant, you can use a smaller tank, your pump will last longer than if allowed to cycle.

Also, the extended run time with a CSV ususally even reduces energy consumption when compared to a pump that is rapid cycling.

armeca

Reaction score
Thanks for the CSV info. That sounds like a good next step. One thing I don't understand is that the new pressure tank (although maybe too small) is the same size that I had before. Everything else is also new and the same as before. I never had the banging noise before I had to replace the pressure tank. Seems like a chain reactiion and one think is causing the other.

armeca

Reaction score
Thanks. The WX202, switch, new pressure gauge cost $293. They never mentioned that I needed a bigger tank. I would have paid the extra $.
They also knew that I had a irrigation system. Maybe I can get them to replace with a bigger tank for free! I do have 16 zones, they run 20mins each.
My grass is still dead this summer so sprinkler system hasn't helped!

I think the CSV is my next step. Lowes - here I come this weekend.....

Do you have an explaination as to why I did't have this water hammer problem before I replaced the new pressure tank. All new replaced equipment is the same as what I had before.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You wont get that valve at Lowes, and your first best step is to combine zones - why so many?? Finally if the grass is dead, shut it all off and put some nice mulch and cactus's in the yard.

293$ means they are fair but maybe not too smart. Forget the free upgrade.

maybe you had the problem but didnt watch it too closely at 3am?

You might check the tank precharge when the system is off and empty before doing anything, often the biggest problems have the simplest solutions.

armeca

Reaction score
Happy Ending

After all of the replies and more searching on the internet, I fixed the problem myself. Cost $0.00

I ended up turning the pump off and draining the water from my pipes. Then I checked the PSI pressure in the new blue pressure tank. It was set at 35psi. One of the tips I received was to reduce the pressure in the tank to 30psi so that is what I did.

That worked! My pressure now goes from 40psi - 60 psi and no banging noise when the sprinkler system is running.

Sparticus158

Reaction score
One reason that could be causing the death of your grass: Over-watering. Tone the watering down to the 10 to 15 minute per zone interval. Then start the sprinklers at 5am instead of 3.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks