Well pump failure alarm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ruthanne Eastwood

Reaction score
We have an 18 month old well pump, a 625 ft deep well, and two large holding tanks. On Saturday afternoon, we completely ran out of water. We determined that the well pump must have failed on Wednesday or Thursday and without any alarm to let us know that, we kept using water until there just wasn't any left. Our well pump contractor doesn't know of any kind of alarm to notify us if this ever happens again. Seems to me that I can close my garage door or lock my front door from hundreds of miles away (current technology), so why isn't there some kind of audible alarm (old technology) to notify a homeowner that the pump failed? Our sump pump has an audible failure alarm. Isn't there a similar thing for well pumps? Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There are lots of ways to monitor a low level. But the simplest way is always the best way. You can just use another "pump up" float switch tethered just below the everyday on/off float switch. Then you will have a closed contact on low water level. You can use this closed contact to turn on a light, siren, radio, or anyway you want to be notified. I am sure you can use this closed contact to make a switch on a Smarthub of some kind. But then you are complicating it enough to need a wifi connection working dependably. A light on the well house is usually pretty fool proof.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Alarming on well pump failure varies based on the setup, particularly if a pump is only used to fill a reservoir. A pump used for pressure would have a narrower set of conditions to meet.

A sump pump alarm would normally detect on high water, not on low water so you would need to get jiggy with it and while it would be easy to convert to a low level alarm, it would be some time after the well pump failed.

Pretty much I think you would need to roll your own solution using a variety of sensors and timers.
https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/search?q=pressure+flow

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks