Well pump decided to quit today

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
Did you measure the stick up height of the motor shaft before disassembling? Less than 1.5" would show the motor thrust bearing was down to to heat. Does the pump spin freely? Is the pump shaft coupling stripped out? Most likely the motor got hot from recirculating water from the hole in the pipe. However, about 7 years ago was when Goulds and Pentair were making those two wire motors with bad starting capacitors. The starting capacitors were not made for continuous use as they should have been, and didn't last very long. The hole in the pipe would have caused the water to get hot as well as the pump to run continuously. Getting hot would have destroyed the thrust bearing and dropped the motor shaft. Bad split phase capacitors would not have dropped the shaft, just locked the motor down and give off a burned smell.

I didn't measure, but I'm pretty sure the splined shaft stick up more than 1.5"

The motor is seized -- cannot turn it.

I already have the new pump, but wouldn't mind having spare one around -- can I simply replace the capacitor(s)? I didn't try too hard, but even after removing the 3 bottom screws I couldn't disassemble the motor any further.

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
Got the new pump, pipe, wire, seal and associated plumbing installed today.

Water system is working better than ever -- great pressure, fast recovery, pressure on gauge on CSV holds even when pump isn't running.

Here's a bunch of pics. I'm sure it's far from perfect, but hopefully at least good enough.

Thank you all again so much!

IMG_2931.JPEG
IMG_2933.JPEG
IMG_2934.JPEG
IMG_2935.JPEG
IMG_2941.JPEG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks