Well pump cycling longer

Users who are viewing this thread

brador

Reaction score
It seems that the well pump is taking longer to refill the pressure tank. Investigating all this for the first time, I discovered: pressure tank shipped at 28psi, switch is for 30/50, actual cut-in/out is 30/60. Given cut-out is almost exactly 60psi, I assume someone set it that way. Before going through all the other rigmarole to see what's going on, could the switch have reset itself just through wear, vibration, etc?

Two other questions: (1) Is it OK to set pressure tank higher (max is 125psi), or (2) to set pressure switch designated for 30/50 up to 40/60?

Thanks!

Speedbump

Reaction score
You can set the switch differently if you like, just be sure to make the tanks pressure two lbs less than the cut in of the pump.

If the pump is running longer, it is probably due to a problem with the well or pump, not the tank.

Pressure switches don't adjust themselves and 30 - 60 is a setting some pros do to make the tank act a little bigger than it really is.

bob...

brador

Reaction score
Thanks, that all makes sense, I just don't like to presume and get into REAL trouble. I'll pay close attention to the cycling to see if it slows down more. Could even be my imagination, because when looking further, it seems like manufacturer's drawdown amounts at pressure and the time to refill (at 9GPM) are just about right.

Any advice on what else to look/listen for--clues as if well or pump are on their way out? (Besides not getting any water!)

BTW, pump and well are about 9 years old, the tank about 4 years old. And it's Nova Scotia--very wet.

Thanks again.

Hube

Reaction score
speedbump said:
Pressure switches don't adjust themselves and 30 - 60 is a setting some pros do to make the tank act a little bigger than it really is.

bob...
************************************************************not true .The higher the pressure the less water it has.
Boyle's Law

Last edited:

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Hube said:
your statement(imo) is not true.
Even Boyle would agree that 30 (differential) pounds of compression reduces the volume of air in a pressure tank more than 20 (differential) pounds of compression would, and that makes for a larger drawdown volume.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks