Well Pump Circuit Breaker Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Knight27

Reaction score
Hello All,

We just bought our first house which is on a private well. I'm brand new to anything related to private-wells and have been doing my research to get caught up to speed with the ins-and-outs. Unfortunately no documentation was given to us regarding the well; so I have no idea how old, what size it is, or power requirements are for it. From my basic understanding it seems to be a two-wire set up as there is only a pump switch, no control box.

My concern is there seems to be two separate single-20a breakers that feed the pump. I originally thought there was only one, but when mapping the rest of the breaker box I realized there are two adjacent 20a single pole breakers the feed the well pump.

My specific question is that: is this common and acceptable? My suspicion is that it's not the proper way to do it; but I want to make sure the pump is not going to burn out or our house start on fire from an non-tripped breaker.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
My specific question is that: is this common and acceptable? My suspicions is that it's not the proper way to do it; but I want to make sure the pump is not going to burn out or our house start on fire from an non-tripped breaker.
Not common or normal. Acceptible? Not to code.
Burn down the house or start a fire? I doubt it. Part of the problem is that somebody might think he has turned off the power, and yet the circuit remains energized.

In the scheme of things, it is not terrible. Breakers can be pretty easy to change, if you are into that kind of thing. You turn off the main breaker first. Make sure you have plenty of light -- sunny day or two flashlights.

See if you can find a model for the breaker box, and then you can probably find a breaker that fits.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You DO need to have a 2-pole circuit breaker. A 2-pole breaker is not just tied together with an interconnects between the two handles, but also connected internally. If one of the two circuits trip the OCPD (overamperace circuit protection device), a two-pole breaker will automatically trip the other circuit.

If you have a currently manufactured and common breaker, like a Square D, or Eaton, a 2-pole breaker is probably less than $10 at Blowes or Home Crapo. If you don't know how to change a breaker, hire someone that is competent to do it.

If you have a Zinsco or Federal Pacific panel, you might have greater problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks