Well pump chattering

Users who are viewing this thread

markrace

Reaction score
Good morning and Happy Friday
well maybe not so happy...

Yesterday I noticed, that when my well pump starts, it chatters
through the pipes coming from the pump to a check valve to the tank.
if you grab the plastic pipes ( new by the way) you can feel the vibration.
The chattering or vibration is not felt past the pressure tank.

Now..( more symptoms..)

the pump starts and chatters, I have a filter between the pump and pressure tank. its a "chunk" filter to get rid of sand and silt.

While the pump is running, and chattering, if I open the valve, to flush out the "chunk" filter, the chattering stops

I have checked the pressure switch and its not chattering. I will clean the contacts this weekend. ( I don't think its the pressure switch.)

The pump is submerged and 220VAC

any thoughts?

Mark

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Filters should be after the pressure tank. When the filter gets clogged, the pressure is shut off from the pressure switch and the pump can't shut off. The pump will then melt down and be destroyed in just a couple of minutes.

You should also not have any check valve above ground. There should be a check valve on the submersible pump, and that is the only one you need. A second check valve in the system can cause water hammer, and can also create a vacuum in the underground pipe that can draw contamination into your water system.

Next your pressure switch should be installed right on the pressure tank. The same reason that you do not see the chattering after the pressure tank, will keep the pressure switch from chattering but, the switch has to be very close to the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks