well pump bladder tank used as expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Traveller

Reaction score
Our town's water system has a check valve installed on the service to each customer, thus making each residence a closed system. This creates problems with our water heaters, as water expands when it heats, and the 150 psi pressure relief valves on our water heaters open regularly.

The manufacturers of water heaters recommend installing a small bladder type expansion tank on the supply side of the w.h. to minimize pressure rises. As our water system is less than ten years old, and all of our homes were on private wells before its inception, most of us still have bladder tanks sitting idly in our old pump houses, and I was wondering what would stop a person from using one of these as an expansion tank.

The problem is this; as well tanks have adjustable air pressure in their bladders, what would be the optimum pre-charge for the bladder if it is to be used as an expansion tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
It seems to me that the ideal would be about the same as the PRV is set to, as it would with a small pressure tank. Maybe a couple pounds more to keep the pressure tank empty most of the time.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes a bladder tank will also work as an expansion tank. You probably don't even need to move it. Just open the valve to the pump system so the tank is connected to the house plumbing. It can be anywhere in the plumbing system. Just use less air in the tank than the lowest pressure the system works at with some faucets on.

I would not disassemble the pump system. You may need it some day when the government decides to cut your water off for opting out of Obamacare or not turning in your guns.

janefairfax18

Reaction score
I don't understand a lot about well pumps just yet, but this certainly seems like something worth discussing. I would love to learn more about this story and the equipment involved. It seems well pumps are important for a lot of things. We are getting a new one, and my husband is taking it very seriously. I would love to be able to understand it.

http://www.brewerwelldrillingswva.com/services.html

Reach4

Reaction score
janefairfax18, are you a real person, or a spammer placing ads?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks