Well pump acting up

Users who are viewing this thread

JMEHAL

Reaction score
My well pump keeps turning off. At least I think it's the pump. It does not trip the breaker, it just stops, no water flow.
I have to go to the breaker panel and flip the breaker on/off sometimes multiple times to get the water flow restored.

We have a deep well (300 some feet) and a small pressure tank in the basement.

This is happening randomly starting about a month ago..Sometimes just once in a day, yesterday twice. It does not appear to only happen when water is running somewhere in the house, although I am not certain of that.

House is about 6 years old.

Have no idea where to start other than to call a contractor, and I'd be completely at thier mercy as to what needed to be done.

Any help appreciated.

Speedbump

Reaction score
First of all if the pump stops and the breaker didn't trip. Flipping it on and off isn't going to make it start working again.

Either the overload protector in the motor is tripping (most are in the motor where you can't get to them) telling you there is a problem. Or the water level in the well is getting close enough to the inlet of the pump that the pump breaks vacuum and has to wait until the water level recovers enough to start pumping again.

Either way, the pump will have to come out to be serviced or replaced.

The contractor I recommend would be either a well driller or pump installer.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks