Well pump 40/60 switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Hello. A few years ago we purchased a house with a submersible well, my first experience with a well but I'm familiar with home plumbing. I noticed that the well comes on at about 35psi and shuts off at 60psi. Is this a normal offset for a 40/60 switch? I like to replace things on my terms and before they fail, if that's a sign of failing. I looked at the adjustment screws on the switch and none of them really allow for an offset adjustment like that. The well was drilled in 2012 and a new pump installed and from the look of the setup I would guess the bladder tank and switch were replaced at that time.

Reach4

Reaction score
Normal differential would be 20 psi. Turn the nut on the small spring CCW. It is OK to get that loose, where there is no compression of the spring.

Square D (Pumptrol) 9013FSG2J24 is standard 40/60 pressure switch, and 9013FYG2J24 is a more commercial switch.

If replacing stuff, it is often good to replace the pressure gauge, especially if the gauge does not indicate zero when the water pressure is zero. Liquid filled gauge is an upgrade.

From a maintenance point of view, it is important to check and set the pressure tank air precharge. Two psi lower than the cut-in pressure is the norm.

Bannerman

Reaction score
You are assuming your pressure gauge is reading accurately. To verify the gauge reading at both pressures, your could use a tire air gauge to measure the air pressure within the pressure tank. The tank air pressure should equal water system pressure while the water system is pressurized within the normal range.

Further to Reach4's comment, reducing the pressure switch differential setting will lower the cut-off pressure so for 20 psi differential, the pump will likely shutoff at 55 psi after adjustment. To restore 40/60 operation, the adjustment with the larger spring will need to be turned clockwise to increase from 35/55 to 40/60.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Normal differential would be 20 psi. Turn the nut on the small spring CCW. It is OK to get that loose, where there is no compression of the spring.

Square D (Pumptrol) 9013FSG2J24 is standard 40/60 pressure switch, and 9013FYG2J24 is a more commercial switch.

Thanks for the info. Yesterday I did try to adjust the screws and was able to get the cut on to 40 but no matter how I loosened the smaller screw it still would cut off at 65psi. I’m not going to mess with it anymore and just replace it. It’s not worth the trouble. Thanks for the link to the more commercial switch and I was planning to switch to a glycerine filled gauge. I will also check the tank pressure while I have it all apart and drained.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks