Well problem. Need advice/knowledge

Users who are viewing this thread

Blue Fin

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies and information guys.

This morning I woke up and decided to tackle the job myself.

Picked up a Grundfos 16S10-10 along with a 1" x 60" galv pipe nipple, tee (2) 1"x6" nipples (to make a pull handle to get it off the pitless), and (2) heat shrink splice kits.

It actually took me longer to drive up to Southampton and back (65 mile round trip) then it did to pull the pump, swap it out and get it back in service. I'm totally stoked right now.

The pump was actually about 40' down and the only thing I had to worry about were some overhead utility wires really close but I directed the down pipe away from them and it hung in the spruce trees.

One of my businesses is swimming pool maintenance and service. I swap out pumps, and do repairs, etc. so this wasn't too far afield for me.

Thanks again brothers. I am totally stoked at how easy this turned out to be.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Good job! But you should have gone back with a 3/4HP, 16S07-8. With that 1 HP you still need a minimum of 65 PSI to keep it from up-thrusting, and you can't get that from 6' of lift and a 40/60 pressure switch. Those little Stainless impellers will wear out on the top as quick as plastic ones. I would suggest adding something that makes the pump think it is in a deeper well, and doesn't let the pump go wide open unless you open up 20+ GPM's. :)

Blue Fin

Reaction score
Valveman, how do you acquire 6' of lift from a pump submerged 43' below grade (32' +/- below ground water level). Just trying to figure out the mathematics. Thanks for your input. Learn something new everyday. Or at least trying to.

TIA

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No matter how deep a pump is set under water, it is only lifting from the actual water level. In this case you have a 6' static level, so the pump is lifting from only 6'. Water below the standing water level doesn't weigh anything to the pump. Water basically floats in other water. Water in water doesn't weigh anything. I know, I know, it is just hard to explain.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The next time you go out in a boat, bring a pail. Sink the pail as deep as your arm. It only gets heavy when it breaks the surface of the lake.

As for the Grundfos, I thought they fix their impellers on the shaft and carry them all on the motor bearing? Does the motor bearing have run-out or play that can cause uplift?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As for the Grundfos, I thought they fix their impellers on the shaft and carry them all on the motor bearing? Does the motor bearing have run-out or play that can cause uplift?

That is just for the down-thrust. They count on the weight of the impellers, shaft, and rotor, plus the down-thrust produced by the impellers to keep the weight on the thrust bearing. When the pump is lying on its side, you don’t have the weight helping, so all you have is the force from the impellers. That is why they really don’t like you to lay one on its side.

Laying on its side or not, when the flow rate is too high, the impellers try to go with the flow, so to speak, and ride up in the pump causing up thrust wear.

There is really not much of an up-thrust bearing in a submersible pump or motor. They usually just count on the top of the pump shaft hitting a stop. So it is not made to run that way very long. When the shaft or stop wear down a bit, the top of the impellers hit the bottom of the diffusers. This wears off the plastic stringy stuff on plastic impellers, but will also rub a hole in the top of the stainless steel impellers.

Blue Fin

Reaction score
Very interesting information indeed. Hmmmmmm. Thanks. I must say that the old pump did get plenty of use. Don't know what the life expectancy is or would be. From May through September it ran every morning irrigating 7 rotary lawn zones and at least as many planter drip zones. So if I get 8 years out of this pump I'll be happy. Next one I will definitely spec out to my situation. I basically just swapped out the same rated pump as was initially installed. Seems as though it was a package deal. Sta-Rite pump and charged tank. Tank went bad recently followed shortly thereafter by the pump.

I've worked on/replaced a lot of swimming pool equipment that were originally put together with packages in a similar fashion (i.e.; Pump, Multi-port valve, DE filter) package deal.

Thanks again guys. I'm glad I found the right place to garner the information. Much appreciated. Happy Holidays to all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks