Well pressure tank won't rebuild pressure with water running and loses some when its not

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You did it right. And even though you didn't say what horsepower pump you have, 2.7 amps is not good. Even a 1/2 HP should draw 5 amps. So, either the pump is worn, the screen is clogged, the well is low on water, or there is something like a stuck check valve restricting your flow. 2.7 GPM means your pump is not pumping much water for some reason.

Reach4

Reaction score
Or should I start to lean toward the pump? From everything I read before joining here to ask, I was thinking it may be the pump. But given my lack of experience with wells I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.
You did it right. And even though you didn't say what horsepower pump you have, 2.7 amps is not good. Even a 1/2 HP should draw 5 amps. So, either the pump is worn, the screen is clogged, the well is low on water, or there is something like a stuck check valve restricting your flow. 2.7 GPM means your pump is not pumping much water for some reason.
There ya go. Not missing something.

Matt Hacket

Reaction score
So I don't believe I have a check valve above ground. (Whoever renovated my house years ago was obviously not a pro) Could it be likely that there is one on the pipe leading from the house to the actual well (under ground)? Or is it possible that it would've functioned just fine without one?

As far as the pump goes, I assume the only option is to pull it and check the screen. If the screen isn't clogged is there a way to test the pump once its pulled?

Reach4

Reaction score
So I don't believe I have a check valve above ground. (Whoever renovated my house years ago was obviously not a pro) Could it be likely that there is one on the pipe leading from the house to the actual well (under ground)? Or is it possible that it would've functioned just fine without one?
You only want a check valve in and/or just above the pump.

Matt Hacket

Reaction score
Gotcha. When figuring out how to replace my pressure tank I found several photos like this so I thought I was supposed to have one.

Well I won't be able to pull my pump until early next week. Any good resources on how to pull and check the pump? Google and YouTube got me pretty far so I suppose I will check there. But I'm open to any other info you guys may have.

I appreciate what you guys do on here very much. Just reading these forums have already saved me a fair bit of cash between diagnosing and replacing my pressure tank and fixing my furnace in the last month.

92654d1524170437-slow-leak-well-pump-line-house-cvshut.jpg

Matt Hacket

Reaction score
It is amazing how that flawed logic persists despite it being illegal in many states

The legality aspect is interesting. Because now that I think about it, it was listed on the new tanks box with other "don't forget these items." The only reason I didn't buy one was because I thought I had one installed already but in a place I didn't see.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The legality aspect is interesting. Because now that I think about it, it was listed on the new tanks box with other "don't forget these items." The only reason I didn't buy one was because I thought I had one installed already but in a place I didn't see.
Michigan is one of the states that outlaws a check valve above ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks