Well Pressure tank replace or repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

WesM

Reaction score
Hi, I have a kenmore (PN# 390.291701) 80 gallon water pressure tank for my well system. Functionally its fine, but it has developed a slow leak at the bottom of the tank, where the fitting looks like its screwed into the bottom. I have not been able to find much if any information on this tank, does anyone know if the fitting at the bottom can be replaced? Or should I be looking to replace the entire tank?

If you look at the picture, the corroded portion near the top where the PVC interfaced near the tank is where the leak seems to be coming from.

PXL_20240515_013842343.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Replace the tank. Now would be a good time to update to a constant pressure system using a Cycle Stop Valve as comes in the tank replacement kit model PK1A.

WesM

Reaction score
Replace the tank. Now would be a good time to update to a constant pressure system using a Cycle Stop Valve as comes in the tank replacement kit model PK1A.

A CSV system is something I am considering if I have to replace the tank. Are there any special pump requirements with a CSV, or will it work with any well pump? Does the pump need a controller/VFD to work with a CSV?

This is the pump I installed in my well about 7 years ago. There is no control box on it, the pump just runs off a simple pressure switch near my pressure tank.

My water is very acidic at about 4.5-5 PH, will this have any effect on the longevity of a CSV system? what is the expected lifespan of a CSV?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
On the old tank, can you try tightening the nuts 1/8 turn with a breaker bar and a 6-point socket? Just an idea, not based on experience.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A CSV system is something I am considering if I have to replace the tank. Are there any special pump requirements with a CSV, or will it work with any well pump? Does the pump need a controller/VFD to work with a CSV?

This is the pump I installed in my well about 7 years ago. There is no control box on it, the pump just runs off a simple pressure switch near my pressure tank.

My water is very acidic at about 4.5-5 PH, will this have any effect on the longevity of a CSV system? what is the expected lifespan of a CSV?
The PK1A kit comes with a new 40/60 pressure switch, which is the only controller you need. The CSV was designed to replace VFD's and has been doing so for over 30 years. The CSV1A and the fitting in the PK1A kit are Stainless Steel, which is about the best you can do when working with acidic water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks