Well pressure switch confusion

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Jonathan Lewis, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Jonathan Lewis

Jonathan Lewis New Member

ok....so I run my water. Pressure drops below tank pressure, which is 38 psi, and then the whole system goes to zero psi. I then have to prime the well again. The system pressurizes up to tank pressure and then pump turns off. The switch stays engaged and then in a few minutes the pump kicks on again and builds up to around 48 and then it kicks off again. I have spent most of the afternoon trying to figure it out. Put in a new psi gauge, tried to adjust settings on the switch and that is not working properly. Do I have a bad switch or a bad pump? Thanks in advance!

2. Jonathan Lewis

Jonathan Lewis New Member

Also, the pump does not engage when the pressure drops. The pressure just drops until it bottoms out.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

As the pressure drops to 38 PSI. The pressure drops to zero in a second. You watch the pump power from the pressure switch to the pump with a voltmeter. The voltage stays at 120 V (or 240) while the pump turns on for 2 minutes. It stays off for 90 seconds when the pump motor turns on again. The pressure switch sent power to the pump that whole time. Is that something like what you are describing?

What is the air precharge on your pressure tank while the water pressure is zero?

System worked great for 6 years and then this behavior started... close?

5. Boycedrilling

Boycedrilling In the Trades

Bad pump motor.

6. VAWellDriller

VAWellDriller Active Member

Mud rotary well driller, pump installer
    I'm not totally following your description of what's happening, but you should check for a blocked nipple connecting the pressure switch to the system.

7. Boycedrilling

Boycedrilling In the Trades

Jonathan had said the the pump is stopping and starting again with the points in the pressure switch staying closed. It’s the thermal overloads in the motor.