Well Pressure question

Users who are viewing this thread

Gwmlb

Reaction score
Looking for some insight.
I bought what was a cabin at one point and then turned year round home in northern Minnesota. The well on the property has two pipes that I see come out of the ground with a common cover over both pipes. I have an underground copper pipe coming from the well into the crawl space below the house where there is the connection for water to the house. The pressure switch was leaking water and I had a plumber replace that at the same time I had them basically redo the plumbing in the house (to PEX, replacing all the old everything.. was some copper, pex, galvanized, etc.)

Now, I really know nothing about this well. I don't know how deep, I assume it has a submersible pump since I have taken the top off the pipes to try to shock the well and only see wires disappearing down the pipe. I don't see a pressure tank anyplace but have heard from rumors that maybe there is one under ground someplace (not sure if that even makes sense).

When I got the place, the pressure seemed decent and would flow pretty well from a hose or faucet. The pressure switch that the plumber put in is a Square D 20/40 and he said that's what he took out (not so sure).
So, now my water pressure is kind of okay.. It will flow from a shower head but it's not like there is lots of pressure there, just enough to push it out 5-6 inches before it drops. If I use a hose, it will cycle and I may have decent pressure for a few seconds then will drop (I don't notice this in the shower).

So.. you know about as much as I do on this thing. Should I tie a rock on a string to see how deep it is (does that matter?) Should I just get a new 40/60 switch and try that? I don't think I have a pressure tank and to be honest, unless I cut the house apart, I don't know how I would get one by the pressure switch anyway (which would be in unheated crawlspace) unless the rumor is true and there is a barried one.

Thoughts on how to get my pressure up?

I've seen some posts that suggest I just push down on the spring side of the pressure switch to see if it will climb to 60.. should I do that? I don't have concern on the piping being old stuff, it's all new (2016) beyond the pressure switch and again the copper pipe coming out looks like a 1" pipe and in good shape as well.

Any other ideas to understand what I have and or how to get the pressure higher?

Reach4

Reaction score
I bought what was a cabin at one point and then turned year round home in northern Minnesota. The well on the property has two pipes that I see come out of the ground with a common cover over both pipes.
Is one of those a big pipe 4.5 or 5.5 inches OD?
You might post a picture... if you want to upload, 800 pixels or less, and less than 200 KB. Otherwise provide a link.

So.. you know about as much as I do on this thing. Should I tie a rock on a string to see how deep it is (does that matter?)
Reflect the sun down the casing to see if you can see anything. Drop an ice cube and listen for a plop.

I don't think I have a pressure tank and to be honest, unless I cut the house apart, I don't know how I would get one by the pressure switch anyway (which would be in unheated crawlspace) unless the rumor is true and there is a barried one.
Normally the pressure tank is near the pressure switch. Check around there.

When the pump runs, how long does it run minimum?

Can you ask the old owner? Most people would try to be helpful.

Pressure tanks can be buried. Look outside near the pressure switch.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you didn't have a pressure tank somewhere, the pressure switch would be cycling the pump on/off almost as fast as a machine gun. A pressure tank could be buried or could even be in the well. You don't need to replace the switch. Just tighten the large adjustment screw until it is working at 40/60.

Gwmlb

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to reply to some of the questions/comments..
1. The two pipes (where the well is.. both are like 4.5 or 5.5 in diameter. yes
2. Ice cube is good idea.. will try that one. I guess if it takes a while then I know it's deep (won't know how deep though). I've tried a flashlight but can't see anything
3. There is no tank by the pressure switch, that is a for sure. (pressure switch is in crawlspace.. just basically attached to pipe that comes out of the ground (well) and then on other side is gauge and then attached to plumbing for house.
4. Bought it from an estate.. old owner is no longer with us. So.. can't ask old owner.
5. Good to know pressure tanks can be buried, it seems like I found some old document by the breaker box that referenced something like that.. trying to find that again. (which is what made me think maybe it existed like that.
6. pressure switch does not switch on and off like machine gun. but if like running shower or outside faucet then runs on and off every like min or two

I do thank you guys for some comments, I didn't realize you could have a pressure take in the well itself. In my description of the well, again, there are two large like 5 or so inch diameter pipes next to each other with a head covering both but forgot to say a little ways away from the well (lets say 10 feet), there is like a one inch pipe also.. it's not covered and just at ground level, no idea what that is and or if it has anything to do with anything. but fyi if that means anything to you guys. (possibly attached to a buried pressure tank? would they do something like that?)

Reach4

Reaction score
1. The two pipes (where the well is.. both are like 4.5 or 5.5 in diameter. yes
That is unusual. Maybe post a picture or two. What do you see under that cap? Wires, right? About 5 ft below ground, there would typically be a pitless adapter. This allows a removable connection between the horizontal pipe and the downpipe.

3. There is no tank by the pressure switch, that is a for sure. (pressure switch is in crawlspace.. just basically attached to pipe that comes out of the ground (well) and then on other side is gauge and then attached to plumbing for house.
Imagine a straight line (or use a string) between the well and the place the pipe comes up. Look for disturbances in the ground along that line.

5. Good to know pressure tanks can be buried, it seems like I found some old document by the breaker box that referenced something like that.. trying to find that again. (which is what made me think maybe it existed like that.
Closer to the pressure switch would be the smarter way, although things are not always done the smarter way.

forgot to say a little ways away from the well (lets say 10 feet), there is like a one inch pipe also.. it's not covered and just at ground level, no idea what that is and or if it has anything to do with anything. but fyi if that means anything to you guys. (possibly attached to a buried pressure tank? would they do something like that?)
Hmm... Is it on that line between the crawlspace pipe and the well? I have 3 guesses so far.
Presuming a capped vertical pipe, I am wondering if this would not be used to remove enough water in the crawlspace pipe so that it will not freeze. This could involve blowing air from the mystery pipe, or it could involve suction on the mystery pipe sucking out the water.

Another guess is that it could be somehow involved in a way to check and change the air precharge on a buried tank. Maybe there is an air valve extension hose down the pipe.

Maybe it is a marker.​

A metal detector that can read deep enough might locate the pressure tank. You could also use a thin steel rod and probe down. These are used to locate septic tanks, and I guess it could be used to find a pressure tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks