Well pipe reality check

Users who are viewing this thread

tbwampler

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a deep 8 year-old well (850'). Last week I started losing pressure and had the well guys come out. They tell me my galvanized pipe is leaking, and that it's not a big surprise. My water does have a pretty high iron content. They tell me I should expect to have to do this every 5-10 years or so, and that I can either keep using galvanized to do it (plastic isn't an option because it's so deep), or...I can shell out the money to use stainless and never have to worry about it again. Obviously there's a huge difference in the price of stainless vs galvanized and it adds up in a hurry when you're talking about a well this deep. I haven't seen anybody talking about using stainless in the forums, so I thought I'd throw it out here. Is it reasonable to expect galvanized to wear out that quickly? Is using stainless at all a sane option? Thanks.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Most often, galvanized pipe will rust through at the threads because the coating is removed when the threads are cut. If the installer had the wisdom to wrap electrical tape over the threads, it would last much longer.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Going along with what LL said, if the threads rust through at the threads and the string of pipe is lost in the hole, that would be a very expensive fishing job.

Use stainless and be done with it.

Reach4

Reaction score
No experience, but I was wondering if you might make the bottom part schedule 120 PVC and use your choice of metal for the top part?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
No experience, but I was wondering if you might make the bottom part schedule 120 PVC and use your choice of metal for the top part?
I had the same idea but then I'm no expert on 800 foot deep wells.

Does anyone have a cost estimate for SS?

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking that the weight of the drop pipe full of water would be the limiting factor. Now I am thinking that the pressure would be a limiting factor. I could envision stainless on the bottom (for pressure but rustproof), PVC in the middle (cheap rustproof), and galvanized up top (cheap tensile strength). I have not seen the tensile strength numbers for schedule 120 PVC with threaded couplers.

pix4.PNG

http://www.johnsonscreens.com/sites/default/files/literature/Male-x-Male Drop Pipe.pdf page 2 has this table.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We install Sch 80 to 600' and run the system at 65psi all the time. Never have had a problem

I know guys in Mass who hang 3 hp pumps on 600' of sch 80. But I wouldn't do it.........

Montana, we get $4.59 for 1" galvanized around here, so if you change it 4 times you have almost paid for stainless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks