Well overflowing around pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

kdodds

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here can help. Our well was drilled in the fall of 2004. It broke at about 70 gallons a minute and has run ever since. The drilling company never capped it, couldn't as the water pressure lifted the 80' of casing out of the ground. They put a cap w/a PVC pipe to allow for the extra run-off. Well now that is gone due to the pressure and water is now coming up around the pipe. This started last year. The drilling company's fix, #1 was to pour a grout like substance down next to the pipe that was supposed to harden, yeah right, it all came back out. Their #2 fix was to stick an 8' piece of PVC down into the hole next to the original casing. They didn't even anchor it. My husband could push it up and down and you could hear the water sloshing around in it. At any rate, we still have water coming up around the casing, a little flow coming out of the casing, and a 20' deep hole being created around the casing. It's quite obvious the drilling company didn't know what to do. My husband wants to dump a load of rock down next to the casing as "fill". My fear is that the pressure will be too great and the rocks will just come back out. Does anyone have any suggestions??

michigan

Reaction score
flowing well handbook

I could not pull it up but I think I read about the same problem in a Michigan government site. Try Rose city Michigan leaking well and see if you find Flowing Well Handbook heading.

michigan

Reaction score
Pages 11 and 12 appear to cover your problem in the flowing well handbook and gives fixes that were tried.

speedtwin

Reaction score
flow~ers>>>>>

wondering,where bouts in mich. are you located?

I'm on my 4th flowing well in 12 yrs of a new construction home in Metamora michigan.......Each well was a nightmare all of its own...Do you have a well permit program in the county your living in??

michigan

Reaction score
I live in Clio but have land in Ogemaw county where flows are common. Next to the stream you can slowly push a four inch pipe slowly and over a period of time into the soft sand and it will clean itself out from spring flow. Only seven or eight feet deep and not a great flow but enough to help cool the stream in hot weather. Well records available but not complete in the counties I check.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm originally from Michigan (Oakland County) and there are a lot of flowing wells around the State. I have heard of some real nightmares on Lake Michigan near the coast where the water was flowing so hard it was throwing fist size rocks 40 feet in the air. That was their story anyway. I drilled a 2" well near there 70 some foot deep and it flowed pretty strong but nothing like the story. The big trick is to never shut it off. If the pressure is strong enough, it can come up beside the casing and then your SOL.

Cement is about the only thing that will plug the hole, and doing that will take some doing and a lot of cash.

bob...

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Flowing Wells in Michgan!

I just returned from calling on drillers all over Michigan and flowing wells are quite normal there. Much of it is due to the big snow and rain in the area. This isn't a DYI project. It requires an experienced and Michigan licensed driller in your area to tackle the plugging of the unwanted well and it can be plugged. I recommend that you contact a driller in your area with the experience and equipment to tackle your problem. If you have trouble locating a qualified driller, get back to me!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks