Well Overflow Leaking through Electrical Conduit

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Coach H, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Coach H

Coach H New Member

I bought a home that has a well shared with a neighbor. Recently the pump started to short cycle so I had a plumber come out to look at it. He added air pressure to the pressure tank but once the pump kicked off, the pressure dropped rapidly. He then pulled the lid from the well and pulled the pump line up about 10' and installed a check valve. Now the pump is behaving as expected, so it seems to have done the trick.

One issue that is now occurring is that the overflow water from the well that use to flow out a pipe in the lid to an attached hose is now leaking out the electrical conduit that contains the wiring to the pump. The plumber said that it should not be a problem to leave it as is. Another plumber I contacted said that he would try to seal the conduit with Duct Seal. I also noticed that the conduit runs lower than the overflow pipe by a couple inches. If I shortened the overflow pipe below the conduit level, would the water natural flow out the lowest path?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Yes and that is exactly what you need to do. Caulking the conduit won't hurt, but is not the fix.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement