Well line to Irrigation

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon57

Reaction score
In preparation for an irrigation system, I’m looking for the best method to tap the well line. My well report says it’s was tested at 15 gpm.

Currently there is a 1” poly pipe from the well which enters the pressure tank tee assembly, from there a 3/4” pex line goes into a tee (3/4” softener and 1/2” to outside taps).

The question I have is do I bypass the pressure tank and install a 1” poly tee and eventually into a 1” pex to outside.

Or swap the 3/4” reducer from the pressure tank tee assembly for a 1” fitting to accommodate the 1” pex to outside, and a reducer tee for the 3/4” feed to softener/taps.

Before the pipe goes outside I will be converting to 1” copper in order to connect to back flow preventer on outside wall.

Attachments

• 910F2EB1-BB6C-43A2-9633-21ECAE44B220.jpeg
    910F2EB1-BB6C-43A2-9633-21ECAE44B220.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 195

Reach4

Reaction score
You can do it either way. You could even tee off outside underground. Just don't put a shut-off valve between the well pump and the pressure switch.

Also think about how you will drain the water for winter.

Jon57

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. If I go with the tee before the pressure tank/switch, do I use the irrigation timer to start the well pump?

Also, once I tee off the poly pipe can I immediately switch to pex with the proper fitting?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you tee off before the pressure tank, the pressure will drop when the pump is not running. (pressure tank supplies initial water to the tee) The pressure switch starts the pump. If you can use about as much water for irrigation as the pump supplies (gpm), you can minimize cycling. But then that would cause reduced pressure in the house during irrigation.

Jon57

Reaction score
The check valve is likely near the pump since I don’t see it before the pressure tank, so this method should be my best bet.

What’s the cleanest way be to transition from the poly pipe to the pex? Bronze tee with threaded barb fittings?

Jon57

Reaction score
Does building code prevent running poly pipe directly outside? Is there a need for pex at all?

For instance tee off before pressure tank, up the wall, and along floor joist and through the rim joist and out into backflow preventer?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Once you are pass the backflow preventer any kind of pipe can be used for the great outdoors. The problem will be adapting from the pipe to sprinklers. PVC pipe is used almost exclusively for irrigation systems. Its cheap, no problems with fittings and everything is designed around it.

To turn the pump on by the irrigation controller will not be possible with your pump working off the pressure switch. You need to use this type of valve that is wired to the mater valve/pump start connection at the controller. This becomes a master valve and the controller will operate the station or zone valves as normal. You want all pressure off the irrigation system when not in use. It also will allow you to drain the irrigation system for the winter.
hunter-industries-sprinkler-valves-pgv-101g-c3_145.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hunter-...trol-Female-Threaded-Valve-PGV-101G/202067941
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rain-Bird-1-2-in-MPT-Filtered-Sprinkler-Drain-Valve-16AFDVC1/100182918

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks