Well learned what flat vents are, please review and tell me how to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Master of None

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to plumbing, mostly because I can't find anyone worth a darn. After looking through the forum I realized I've made a mistake in the past and that is doing flat venting! Like other newbies I thought the more the better with vents.

Anyhow I have attached a picture of what I believe to be a correct way to plumb the upcoming job I have. I will be using long sweeps on all of the 2" lines and have added a clean out at the end of the line for fun. This will all be going into a sump pump in the storage area and will be pumped up about 8' into the main trunk line. The red circles are my vents.

Please let me know if you see anything wrong!

Thank you, Alex
Plumbing Idea.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The lav can wet vent the tub, but you need to not have the washer come in at that point. Only bathroom fixtures can use wet venting.
Either the tub gets it's own vent, or you use the lav to vent, and the washer comes in downstream of all of that. The washer needs it's own vent.

Master of None

Reaction score
So have the tub cross over to the sink drain. Is there any other way to vent the tub?

As far as the laundry is it best to just run parallel to the main line until I'm past the toilet and tie in there?

Thank you for your help!

Master of None

Reaction score
If you can't "find anyone worth a dime" in Atlanta, you must not be looking very hard.

If you know anyone that is good down here please let me know! I am sure there are very good plumbers here. I manage operations at a large waterproofing and structural repair company and we've just about used every plumber in the city and it's always the same mo. they start out great but within 2 months then begin no showing. Got a call from one of our customers yesterday that the plumber had actually left their toilet line disconnected in their crawl space. It's frustrating.

This a personal project of mine and I'm just trying to learn. I apologize if I came off demeaning. I was just trying to be friendly.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do those stairs lead to the basement? Why is there a vent on the laundry room exterior wall? Is the plumbing being installed under the joists or in the joists?

Last edited:

Master of None

Reaction score
Do those stairs lead to the basement? Why is there a vent on the laundry room exterior wall? Is the plumbing being installed under the joists or in the joists?

This is the basement. The stairs lead up to the main level.

I thought I had to vent the laundry room, I guess I could vented in one of the bathroom walls so that it was not in the exterior. Can I not run event pipe up an exterior wall and tie it in in the ceiling?

The pipes will be under a slab.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are 5 different ways to plumb this but this is what I would change on your drawing.

Attachments

• Plumbing Idea new.jpg
    Plumbing Idea new.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 190

Master of None

Reaction score
There are 5 different ways to plumb this but this is what I would change on your drawing.

Ahh I see what you did there! The line that leads to the clean out, should I just leave that 4" ? It's my brother's house so I just figured 4 is better than 3. Please let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Thank you for the feedback!

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have an existing sewer that is 4", I would run a 4" drain and yes the clean out has to be the same size as the drain it serves so that line would have to be 4". Code would allow 3" for your situation and it would cost you less, but if you like trouble free plumbing I would use 4".

Attachments

• Plumbing Idea new 2.jpg
    Plumbing Idea new 2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 172

Master of None

Reaction score
If you have an existing sewer that is 4", I would run a 4" drain and yes the clean out has to be the same size as the drain it serves so that line would have to be 4". Code would allow 3" for your situation and it would cost you less, but if you like trouble free plumbing I would use 4".

So my brother just asked if we could put a floor drain in the far left top room. Where can that be tied into the system.

Jbrk

Reaction score
Just curious,

Is the trap primer code for a floor drain?

I see lots of floor drains without them.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like a lot of things in the code they will leave it up to the engineer to specify construction because he's supposed to know what he's doing. in a school I worked on the specifications read that the trap could have either a trap primer or a deep seal trap so they chose a deep seal trap for the air handler rooms, now in the winter when the air handlers don't have condensation running down the drain the traps dry up and the sewer gas intake air goes through the duct work and into the class rooms.
Mr. Master of None wont be showering his dog every day or much in the winter I don't think. But yes, I have seen a lot of traps without primers too but like I mentioned above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks