Well is losing prime...

Users who are viewing this thread

DeeDub

Reaction score
Hi folks.

My deep water well keeps losing prime. I'm thinking two possible causes here. When I leave a tap on and prime the well, I get pressure up to a point, then it goes VERY low... then cycles back up. Sometimes, it will lose prime completely.

I'm thinking either 1) bad pressure tank or 2) bad check valve down at the end of my lines. Now, replacing the pressure tank is the easier (but costlier) of the two. Should I try that first to see if it fixes the problem, or just go ahead and do both?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The pressure tank does nothing to make or lose pressure, the pump does that.

Tell us what kind of pump, tank and well you have. And the specs on the well.

bob...

DeeDub

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know anything about it. It's at my Grandparents old house. They've passed on, and my mother is living there now.

Tank looks to be 30-40 gallon size and hasn't been replaced in who knows how long. Same with the pump itself. If I remember correctly, the well goes down about 120 feet or so. Again, I don't have the specs on it. How would I go about finding out, short of dropping a weighted string down it?

R

Rancher

Contact your state, most if not all states register the water wells.

Rancher

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
As Bob said, the tank has nothing to do with the problem. Wells don't lose prime, jet pumps lose prime. They do that because of a leak allowing water in the pressure tank and pump to run back down the well. The primary cause of a loss of prime is a leaking foot valve on the end of the drop pipe in the well. That applies to both shallow single line and two line deep well jet pumps. Another potential leak area is in the drop pipe or pipe from the well to the house.

DeeDub

Reaction score
Turned out to be bad contacts on the pressure switch. Well/pump now working fine, thanks for the suggestions!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks