Well feed fitting underground / in slab?

Users who are viewing this thread

nplayle

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing my basement floor and while it's up I kind of want to do something with my well pipe entrance.

Currently there's a piece of semi flexible pipe that comes through the floor at an odd angle. I'd like to have it come up vertically and just have it look more professionally done. Attached is an image of what it currently looks like. There is a spare pipe, but not 100% sure what its purpose was.

It is a deep well but it's artesian, hence the shallow jet pump. I'm guessing that the other pipe might have been for wiring or return for a deep well pump.

I don't think I'll be able to get the pipe to bend and come up nicely without kinking, so the best thing I can come up with is some kind of 45 or 90deg fitting encased in the concrete. I don't think I'll be able to solvent weld it since it's an artesian, so that would leave shark bites or hose clamps.

Something doesn't 100% sit well with me having a fitting under or encased in the concrete, but I'd like some other input from guys who do this every day. Any thoughts? Worst case I just leave it as is, but I'd like to improve it if I could.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210906_201009.jpg
    20210906_201009.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 126

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a spare pipe, but not 100% sure what its purpose was.
I suspect that was for a deep well option, since they did not know initially that the well was going to keep its level up.

I would think you would use a brass or stainless elbow with two stainless steel worm gear clamps on each. The worms would be on opposite sides. The poly would be SIDR, where the ID for a given nominal size is the same, and higher-pressure rated pipes have a bigger OD. You need to heat the pipes to get the barbs of the fittings in.

I think you would want the new poly to go through a sleeve thru the concrete. Maybe solid PVC. I am not a pro.

If the well is big enough, a 1/2 hp submersible will pump water about as well as a 1 hp jet pump, and be quieter.

nplayle

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Maybe it's not such a bad idea to encase it in concrete after all.

The well is a 4" casing, so it'd be tight. Right now I'm not super interested in a submersible pump.

The well also has a fun problem where there's some kind of dissolved gas in it that accumulates in the pressure tank, but that's a whole other story.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I suspect that was for a deep well option, since they did not know initially that the well was going to keep its level up.

I would think you would use a brass or stainless elbow with two stainless steel worm gear clamps on each. The worms would be on opposite sides. The poly would be SIDR, where the ID for a given nominal size is the same, and higher-pressure rated pipes have a bigger OD. You need to heat the pipes to get the barbs of the fittings in.

I think you would want the new poly to go through a sleeve thru the concrete. Maybe solid PVC. I am not a pro.

If the well is big enough, a 1/2 hp submersible will pump water about as well as a 1 hp jet pump, and be quieter.

SIDR pipe is almost never used in water applications...or at least around here. None of my suppliers even have it. Industry standard is either CTS (copper tubing size) or IPS (iron pipe size) where OD is same and ID changes with pressure rating. I use IPS on 160 or 200 psi and we use same barbed fittings for either. We use brass "Ford" compression fittings on CTS.

In my view this case is not much different than burying a fitting in the yard....use a quality brass or stainless fitting and quality clamps and go ahead and cover it up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks