Well Dry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Demock

Reaction score
My well was drilled in 1968. It is 120 feet deep and the static water line is 20 feet. We have iron and magnesium buildup on well surfaces. It uses a jet pump setup for deep well with a 20 gallon pressure tank. Over the last year we were losing pressure which I attributed to the pump dying(slowly). Finally, three weeks ago the pump burned out. I put a new jet pump under the house and matching injector in well. I had to cut about a foot off the well pipe. I shocked the well and sealed. Now the pressure is great(49lbs). Unfortunately, after about 2/3 a bath tub full of water the pump stops and black sand comes up. The pressure stays at about 20lb and the pump does not unprime. If you turn the pump off and then back on it primes right back but quits in about a minute. The pump says it will lift 70 feet but I called the company and they said it can lift 90 feet. The injector sits at about 112 feet. I don't know if the pump simply can't lift as the water drains down or the well is truly dry? Any ideas? I have read about "Nu-Well" product which says it could improve flow. Has anyone heard of it or used any acid type products on a old well?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Look down the well with a flashlight or mirror while this is happening. If the water level is very low, you maybe pumping the well dry. But my guess is the water level is not low, and the "black sand" is clogging the jet nozzle, which then can only produce about 20 PSI. Turning the pump off and back on is probably helping to clear the blockage, and the pump will work again.

Tabs or acid won't help that. You will probably need to get the well blown out with a big compressor to clean out the well.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My guess is the new pump initially moved more GPM than the old one did which motivated the sand. Try air lifting as Cary said.

Reach4

Reaction score
Blowing the sand out with a really big diesel or gas compressor, 175 cfm or so, will blow things out like a geyser. It's quick. Renting those compressors is not cheap. Having it done is certainly not cheap. If you want DIY with longer times, read up on air lift pumps for removing sand. This requires much less compressor-- maybe 3 to 5 CFM. There are lots of Youtube videos on well cleaning with an air lift pump. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-borehole-supply-in-the-uk.61806/#post-460564 is in a long thread of dealing with fine sand, but it has success with an air lift pump.

How big is your well? If 4 inches or more ID, a submersible pump is less drama. It won't help the sand situation however.

If you have a tail on your injector, you could remove the tail. Otherwise, you could raise the injector. This presumes you will have enough water to keep the injector in water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks