Well driving me crazy

Users who are viewing this thread

OregonJohn

Reaction score
Newbie here, but would like some advice for my well and control box. The well is 480' with a 3 horse pump.
I had the well guy out a month or so ago as the control box kept going into an overload situation. He showed me how to reset the control box and then tested the pump. It tested within parameters for my pump. I have had that problem again with the overload, so I purchased new start and run capacitors. It still goes into an overload when I turn on the irrigation and the demand for water is great.
What would cause this condition? Any help would be appreciated and hopefully my sanity will be kept intact.

Thanks
OJ

Reach4

Reaction score
Get yourself a clamp-on ammeter to measure the currents . Those currents could probably give info to the others as to whether your overload detector is failing or if the problem is something else.

You should also identify what your overload protection is. That info could let somebody else identify the problem.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Is it tripping the overload when demand for water is great, or because the demand is not enough to keep the pump running continuously, and cycling on/off is tripping the overload?

Either way you need a clip around amp meter on one of the two incoming wires. More than 17 amps means there is something wrong with the pump, motor, or possibly the run capacitor and relay in the box. Less that 17 amps means your overload is probably weak and needs replacing.

OregonJohn

Reaction score
I will try and give you all the information I know.
This is a system that is 480' deep and has a 3 horse pump. It pumps into a 1500 gallon tank for water storage. When in demand the booster pump kicks on and distributes water from the storage tank. the pump kicks on when the tank gets to a certain level to fill the tank again. The well pump is protected by Pumptec-Plus pump protection system by Franklin electric. With a Pentek CR3021 control box. That is what has been tripping and has to be reset. The Pumptec is flashing with an overload detected. When I had the well guy out (it is a very respected well company that has been in business for a long time) he did clip an amp meter on the wires and there was not an overload or an underload on the pump. The amps were in the proper range. I have replaced the start capacitor AND the run capacitor. Which I thought would correct the problem.
We live on 5 acres and have to water 50+ trees and other shrubs/plants so it is very important that this operates correctly.

Thanks again for any help on this issue,
OJ

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks