Well drillers please help. Sediment in my water.

Users who are viewing this thread

sandy cup

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time posting, but I've been reading and learning off and on this site for years. Great site, thank you for having it.
Here's my situation; well is from 1994, I have an above ground pump. I've asked neighbors and they have no sediment and one of neighbors has well is 56'. We have lived here for about 17 years, and have seen some sediment come in house water a few times, then it remedies itself and no more sand, or not much. 3 weeks ago we really had alot of sand come in, at least a cup of sand to a gallon of water and that was right after getting it from spigot, no settling, and worse it seems. I know from reading it can be a few things going on and to have a well professional come and inspect. I called a few here in Florida,(I've asked if it can be due to the fact we have not had much rain in months, they say no),[but when I read things online low water table can bring sediment] and had a few come out and give an estimate and have gotten different opinions. I understand that it can be a screen problem, or a casing problem. What I dont understand is if it is a casing problem, how did it just fix itself since we had a nice amount of rain? It is not completely gone now, but right after we got all that rain, we only have a little bit of sand now. My vision sees a straw as the casing with a tear and even though we got alot of rain, how would that tear get fixed just by that, if it's the casing? Wouldn't we still be seeing the same amount of sediment coming in?
We also have 2 other options, another shallow well, or a deep artisan well. We do not want sulfer, but have been told if we were to drill another shallow well 6 feet away we could have bad sulfer. Same with a deep well.
If we were to do a new shallow well would we still get sediment?
Sorry to get winded, I wanted to give you as much info as possible. Hopefully there is a well contractor from Florida here. Any insight will be greatly appreciated:) thank you all so much for your time!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would try to pump it out. Running the pump wide open with no pressure will make it produce more GPM and can help clean the well out in a few hours of pumping maybe. If not, if the casing is large enough you could drop in a sand point with a fine screen and draw through that.

sandy cup

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time posting, but I've been reading and learning off and on this site for years. Great site, thank you for having it.
Here's my situation; well is from 1994, I have an above ground pump. I've asked neighbors and they have no sediment and one of neighbors has well is 56'. We have lived here for about 17 years, and have seen some sediment come in house water a few times, then it remedies itself and no more sand, or not much. 3 weeks ago we really had alot of sand come in, at least a cup of sand to a gallon of water and that was right after getting it from spigot, no settling, and worse it seems. I know from reading it can be a few things going on and to have a well professional come and inspect. I called a few here in Florida,(I've asked if it can be due to the fact we have not had much rain in months, they say no),[but when I read things online low water table can bring sediment] and had a few come out and give an estimate and have gotten different opinions. I understand that it can be a screen problem, or a casing problem. What I dont understand is if it is a casing problem, how did it just fix itself since we had a nice amount of rain? It is not completely gone now, but right after we got all that rain, we only have a little bit of sand now. My vision sees a straw as the casing with a tear and even though we got alot of rain, how would that tear get fixed just by that, if it's the casing? Wouldn't we still be seeing the same amount of sediment coming in?
We also have 2 other options, another shallow well, or a deep artisan well. We do not want sulfer, but have been told if we were to drill another shallow well 6 feet away we could have bad sulfer. Same with a deep well.
If we were to do a new shallow well would we still get sediment?
Sorry to get winded, I wanted to give you as much info as possible. Hopefully there is a well contractor from Florida here. Any insight will be greatly appreciated:) thank you all so much for your time!

sandy cup

Reaction score
If there was a hole in the casing, would sand continue to come in water regardless of getting rain?
Would getting rain stop sediment from coming in the water?

Reach4

Reaction score
If there was a hole in the casing, would sand continue to come in water regardless of getting rain?
Would getting rain stop sediment from coming in the water?
Maybe more water comes in from higher up than lower when the water table near the surface is higher?

Are you using less water due to not watering the wet lawn?

If we knew about your pump, we could draw inference from how much current the pump is using. You would measure the current through one power wire with a clamp-around ammeter.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Rain water usually causes just the opposite. When the casing is not sealed properly rain water usually causes sand, sediment, or cloudy water. Rain stopping the sediment is unusual. However, in our area when the water level in the well drops, the sand can dry out and sluff off like when beach sand dries out. As long as the water level is high, the sand is wet, and doesn't sluff off.

sandy cup

Reaction score
Rain water usually causes just the opposite. When the casing is not sealed properly rain water usually causes sand, sediment, or cloudy water. Rain stopping the sediment is unusual. However, in our area when the water level in the well drops, the sand can dry out and sluff off like when beach sand dries out. As long as the water level is high, the sand is wet, and doesn't sluff off.

sandy cup

Reaction score
I follow that thought, about when sand gets wet it isnt sugary, it's easier to stick so to speak.
If I'm following fully, does that mean the sand could be sticking to the outside of the casing more and not able to get in casing, if there is a hole?
Or, sticking the walls of the well itself? (Sorry the terminology)
I just want to know if we start getting lots of sand back in water again, if it is the casing or if our well is caving in, or going dry. Not wanting to replace the casing part if it is a problem with well.

sandy cup

Reaction score
Maybe more water comes in from higher up than lower when the water table near the surface is higher?

Are you using less water due to not watering the wet lawn?

If we knew about your pump, we could draw inference from how much current the pump is using. You would measure the current through one power wire with a clamp-around

sandy cup

Reaction score
Our water usage stays the same, we dont water lawn ever, or wash vehicles, or pressure wash. 2 people and we have a 1 hp pump and the bladder pressure kicks on and off near where it should.

sandy cup

Reaction score
Getting the hang of how to reply, ha.
One more question. If it is the dry sand falling into well, does that mean a new well would be in our future? Or, is it somewhat (normal) for the sand to fall in if its dryer.

Reach4

Reaction score
One more question. If it is the dry sand falling into well, does that mean a new well would be in our future? Or, is it somewhat (normal) for the sand to fall in if its dryer.
Try what was described in #2.

If that doesn't improve, there are ways to filter out sand up top easier.

A new well is a possibility, but try the easier stuff first.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Again, rain water causing the sediment to stop coming in is unusual. Rain should have nothing to do with the well production as long as the well is sealed properly. Like has been said, try pumping it out or developing the well before going to any other trouble. Developing a well is the most important part of a good well and many have never ever been developed properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks