Well conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

Dajack2125

Reaction score
I have a deep well with a 6" casing. There was a submersible pump that went bad. so we have ignored the well as we are getting city water. City water is way to expensive for watering the garden and our trees. I have a Wayne CWS50 convertible jet pump that I would like to use in place of the submersible.
I have the ejector nozzle and the foot valve and a pressure gauge. After reading and watching all kinds of posts on the internet as to how the pump will tie into the pressurized tank, I'm more confused than when I started. I would be vey thankful if someone could actually post a detailed drawing and parts suggestions on how to put this all together. Again, this is only for irrigation purposes, not household use. The well is in excess of 250' deep. I have 30' from the top of well casing to waterline. I was told that with the pump I have I am limited to a total of 90' lift, which includes the dry area from top of casing to waterline. Going by that I will be dropping 50' of piping into the water itself with the other 30' for a total of 80' lift.

Thank you

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A single suction pipe shallow well jet pump can only lift 24' max. I think you had a submersible for a reason. If your well water is of good quality I would use it for the house as well and disconnect from the city.

Your old submersible pump "went bad" because it was cycling on and off too much. If you eliminate the cycling with a Cycle Stop Valve a submersible pump is the most dependable pump there is and will last 20-30 years. Just think how much money you would save in 30 years by not buying city water and not having any expenses for the well pump except electricity. You can pump all the water a house needs for about 5 bucks a month.

Dajack2125

Reaction score
In response to your post. I have a double pipe system. It is a convertible deepwell jet pump. It is listed as being able to pull from 90'. Second, the township laws mandate that all residents be connected to city water.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yep a convertible will work. Pain in the butt compared to a submersible though. As for the mandates, don't get me started. Our city wouldn't let you drill a well in the limits for a long time either. They piped in water from far away. Using that water in the city caused the water level to rise so much de-watering pumps are common in many basements or before excavations. Now they let us drill wells so the city won't float away. Lol! Mandates are usually wrong!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks