Well contractor trying to sell me constant pressure system

Users who are viewing this thread

llovering

Reaction score
I'm new to this thread and its not a contractor that trying to sell me a constant pressure system, it is me trying to determine whether I need one. As I am the homeowner there may be some questions I can't answer. The well was tapped at 425' with 50 gpm flow. We have a two bathroom house and an acre of property that we need to water. The furthest we need a garden hose is about 200'. Although we don't notice any pressure drops with normal household use (showers, washing machine, dishwasher), there is a substantial pressure drop on the sprinklers and indeed on using a hose and spray cap.

Would a constant pressure system give me more pressure to reach the end of the hoses? We don't have anything on the well, such as a softener system; the water is pretty good except for some hydrogen sulfide smell at times.

Thank you,

-Larry

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Do you have low pressure in the house while the sprinklers are running? Or is the pressure just low at the end of the hose, and the pump is still cycllin on and off while the sprinklers are running?

Constant pressure is not going to give you any more pressure at the end of a hose. You would just need a larger diameter hose. You can lose a lot of pressure in 200' of garden hose.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would love to recommend constant pressure pumps if they weren't incredibly expensive and you could get more than say 5 years out of them. Until then go with either a standard pump and tank set of get a standard pump and a CSV. You have to realize that even if there were an energy savings, the cost of the equipment and installation makes the pay off more than a life time. Certainly more than the life time of the pump.

llovering

Reaction score
The pressure in the house is lower when the sprinklers are running and there is not much pressure in the sprinkler heads. I believe I have 5/8" hose running outside to the sprinklers. The pump seems to continually run when the sprinkers are on.

Do you have low pressure in the house while the sprinklers are running? Or is the pressure just low at the end of the hose, and the pump is still cycllin on and off while the sprinklers are running?

Constant pressure is not going to give you any more pressure at the end of a hose. You would just need a larger diameter hose. You can lose a lot of pressure in 200' of garden hose.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pump seems to continually run when the sprinkers are on.

If this is the case then you need a bigger pump to suppy more volume, which will keep the pressure up. Then a Cycle Stop Valve can help by delivering constant pressure, which will keep the pump from cycling when you are not using the full amount of volume from the pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would love to recommend constant pressure pumps if they weren't incredibly expensive and you could get more than say 5 years out of them.

People have been saying that for 20+ years and they still can't or won't make variable speed pumps last. But of course, that is the point and is why pump and VFD manufacturers like them. Continual "Cash Flow" from the consumer to the manufacturers.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The best way to make money is to buy stock in a company, that has the public fooled into thinking their product saves energy. The best way to lose money is to buy their products.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks