Well Company Employee Dropped Two Aluminum Wrenches in Well

Users who are viewing this thread

Finbar

Reaction score
We had air in our pipes and called the company that had replaced our well pump seven years ago. The employee who came to check on the problem dropped two aluminum pipe wrenches down the well. The company said they did research to see if the wrenches could pose a problem. They do not believe they will and said to try and fish them out would be difficult.

I would really appreciate any opinions regarding this matter and if there is any chance of problems down the line. Thank you in advance for any help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as they went all the way down and don't cause a problem with setting or removing the pump it should not be a problem. If the pump was still in the well when it happened and there is not enough room for them to pass the pump, the pump may never come out.

I have dropped a few wrenches in wells before. Don't like to admit it, but it happens.

Reach4

Reaction score
As long as they went all the way down and don't cause a problem with setting or removing the pump it should not be a problem. If the pump was still in the well when it happened and there is not enough room for them to pass the pump, the pump may never come out.

I have dropped a few wrenches in wells before. Don't like to admit it, but it happens.
I doubt that you dropped two into the same well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I doubt that you dropped two into the same well.

I wouldn't bet on that. Another hate to admit it but I know of a well that has 5 pumps dropped in it. Thank goodness it had plenty of rat hole or room at the bottom because I couldn't get them out. I would just pound them down with the bailer and set another one on top of it.

I did finally figure out what was causing them to come unscrewed and fall in. It was many years ago and was one of the first of many problems I realized cycling a pump can cause. :)

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dropped a 1/2 drive 3/4 socket in a well a few months ago and last month dropped a pat of Klein crimp pervs in another....

Shit happens......

Wells seem to have a greater gravitational pull than flat ground.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a proven fact that you can be standing 6 feet away from an open well and if you drop something it will go down the hole.

An aluminum pipe wrench fall heavy end first and a magnet will not pick it up.

A 5 gallon bucket just fits inside 16" casing.

If you drop a cell phone down a well, nobody will answer.

Don't ask me how I know these things.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It's a proven fact that you can be standing 6 feet away from an open well and if you drop something it will go down the hole.

An aluminum pipe wrench fall heavy end first and a magnet will not pick it up.

A 5 gallon bucket just fits inside 16" casing.

If you drop a cell phone down a well, nobody will answer.

Don't ask me how I know these things.

Wells seem to have a greater gravitational pull than flat ground.

Now thats funny! I don't care who you are.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the pump was in the well and the wrenches dropped on top, I would be sure the pump man pulls the pump to seen that it will come out.
If the wrenches were laying in the bottom of the borehole it would not concern me, but if they are sitting on the pump or a torque arrestor, or tangled in the wire, the wrenches could prevent the pump from ever being pulled up again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks