Well casing and pitless adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Ephraim

Reaction score
I recently paid a well driller to install a well on my property so that I can irrigate my lawn and such without having to pay the city water bills. The driller did everything I asked (and did it legally). However, now I don't know what to do. The last time I installed a well on my property, the driller put in a 4" pvc casing and then pounded 20 feet of 6" steel casing. I installed a brass pitless adapter at 5' (I think the pvc casing was about 20 feet down from the top of the well).

This time, I have a 4" pvc casing sticking up about 2' from the ground. Can I install a pitless adapter to this? (Sched 40 pvc) Won't the sun degrade the pvc over time? Is it possible to hand pound 6" steel casing over this pvc pipe? and if so, how much do I need?

In this location, the ground is mostly sand with a small amount of clay in layers. The water table is at 45 feet. Recommended frost depth is 15".

konk

Reaction score
well casing

Im' sure you can get a adapter for 4", i always use 5" casing. Did he cement the top part of your well? Not sure on your states regs. we have to set 20' steel with 39' of cement. Your pvc pipe should be fine.

Ephraim

Reaction score
The problem is that you will have to remove the pitless from the inside of the PVC to pull the pump out unless you used a 3" pump and that's IF it will clear the remaining part inside the casing.

I've found a "Dicken's clearway wrap-around" and also a "Maas clamp-on" pitless adapter that evidently have the mating surfaces of the pitless adapter placed at an angle and/or outside the PVC pipe. They claim full 4" ID clearance on 4.5" OD pipe.

I'm leaning towards the Maass clamp-on as it is for 1.25" while the dickens is for 1". (This is, after all, for a irrigation application) kind of pricey though at $150.

Mtcastle

Reaction score
Curious how you accessed the pvc through the steed casing? My idea for mine has been to cut out a 6”x6” opening on steel casing to install the pitless to the pvc and to attach the poly pipe to the barb coming off the pitless

Reach4

Reaction score
Curious how you accessed the pvc through the steed casing? My idea for mine has been to cut out a 6”x6” opening on steel casing to install the pitless to the pvc and to attach the poly pipe to the barb coming off the pitless
You understand that you replied to a really old thread.

Not that there is anything wrong with that... but describe what you have. Also, how high is the steel above ground, and how high is the PVC above or below ground?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks